If you have eaten bedmi puri/poori in your city then you definitely have a clue what this post is all about. As kids I have traveled a lot with my dad and on one of our trips to Nathdwara temple we tried this poori in a local restaurant and the taste is still afresh in my mouth. Bedmi poori also known as urad dal ki poori is a popular breakfast of the North. Bedmi poori is made from grounded urad dal combined with spices and later mixed with wheat flour. There are two ways to make this pooris, one that I have used- grounded dal, spices combined with rice flour, wheat flour to form a dough and other method it to make a dry mixture of dal, spices and stuff it in the dough just like a kachori. If you are looking for a dal kachori recipe, then follow the recipe here.
RECIPE DETAIL– I start the recipe by soaking the dal for 3 – 4 hours. After the soaking time ground the dal. Dal should be grainy and has small grain like chunks. Combine it with spices, rice flour, wheat flour and knead a soft dough. Rice flour adds a crunchy texture to these pooris. Heat oil and fry until its crispy and golden brown in color.
Once a month me and my family enjoy our morning breakfast with Bedmi poori along with aloo vegetable and homemade curd. It’s yum, delicious and very filling. Do give it a try and take your taste-buds for a ride.
Are we friend's yet? For new updates and recipes, follow @ruchiskitchen on -
For new updates and recipes, follow @ruchiskitchen on -
Don’t forget to ⭐ rate the recipe and leave me a comment below 👇
- 2-3/4 cup Whole Wheat flour
- 1/2 cup Rice flour
- 1/4 cup Urad Dal
- 1.5 teaspoon Dried Ginger Powder or 1.5 teaspoon chopped ginger
- 2.5 teaspoon Coriander powder (sukha dhaniya)
- 3/4 teaspoon Hing (asofetadia)
- 2 teaspoon Saunf (Fennel seeds)
- 2.5 teaspoon Red chili powder
- 2 teaspoon Amchur Powder (Mango Powder)
- 2 teaspoon Ajwain/ Carrom seeds
- 2 teaspoon Haldi (Turmeric powder)
- Salt to taste
- Clean, wash and soak dal for 3-4 hours
- After the soaking time, drain, wash and transfer dal to a mixer or food processor.
- Coarsely ground it. It should not be pasty, it should be grainy. Set it aside.
- Assemble rest of the ingredients.
- Transfer dal to a bowl and...
- Add all the ingredients one by one.
- Finally add wheat flour and rice flour.
- Add water and form a soft pliable dough.
- Heat oil in a kadai. Make small round balls out the dough..
- Grease the dough ball..
- And roll it into a small circle/poori.
- Once oil is heated, add poori to the oil.
- Fry until crisp and brown from both the sides.
- Place it on a paper towel to drain excess oil. Repeat it with rest of the dough.
- Warm and hot Bedmi pooris are ready. Enjoy it with Dubki wale aloo.