Remember this one – Baingan kachri recipe meaning Eggplant slices. I am so excited to share this family recipe with all of you today. Just like Baghare baigan, this dish too is full of flavor and it’s the ULTIMATE eggplant recipe. Chick flour (besan) coated baby eggplant slices are cooked in a combination of spices. Sauteed tomato onion rub adds a nice touch, and it’s all finished-off with some fresh chopped cilantro and lemon juice. Now this is what I call a PERFECTO dish in Spanish. 😉
This recipe has two steps. First is the traditional way of making kachri and the second one is to coat this kachris (slices) in a sauteed onion-tomato spice mix. Second step takes this dish to a whole new level and it taste amazing. Traditional way of making this recipe – Baby eggplant slices are coated with a besan spice mix and cooked until it gets a crunchy outer layer and on the inside its still soft and velvety. Sprinkle some chaat masala on top and enjoy. But my mom made it with a twist. She ended the dish by coating these kachris in onion-tomato spice mix. It’s pretty simple and quick to assemble.
Adding cream to the recipe is optional, as per ones’s taste you can leave that out. Once onion-tomato mix is cooked spread it around in the pan, place a single layer of eggplant slices on top and using a spoon coat eggplant slices with this mix. Sprinkle some water on top, cover and let eggplant slices soak in all the flavors. Baingan kachri is ready, enjoy it with dal tadka and warm rice.
So without any further delay let’s get on with this recipe. Try this one out and I am sure you are going to enjoy it.
Baingan kachri Recipe
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 small Tomato, chopped
- 1/4 cup Homemade tomato puree
- 2 teaspoon Ginger paste
- 1/2 teaspoon Cumin seed
- 2 teaspoon Coriander powder (sukha dhaniya)
- 1/2 teaspoon Haldi (Turmeric powder)
- 1/2 teaspoon Red chili powder
- 1.5 teaspoon Garam Masala Powder
- Salt to taste
- 2 tablespoon Cream
- 1 tablespoon Chopped cilantro leaves - to garnish
- 2 tablespoon Oil
- 1 tablespoon Lemon Juice - to sprinkle on top (optional)
- Clean and wash baingan.
- Assemble all the ingredients.
- In a bowl add besan and all the dry ingredients one by one.
- Add water and make a paste. Neither too thick nor too watery.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a kadhai/pan. Meanwhile take a baingan and trim the top off.
- Cut them into thick slices..
- Apply paste to one side of the baigan and repeat this with all of them.
- Add baingan to this hot kadhai with the coated side down. Apply besan paste to the other side.
- Flip and cook from both the sides. Keep adding oil as and when needed.
- Cook until besan is cooked and light brown in color. It took me 15 minutes to cook all the baingan rounds on a medium low flame.
- Baingan kachri is ready. Sprinkle with chaat masala and enjoy as is. If you like to coat them in masala then move on to the next step.
- Assemble all the ingredients.
- And the spices.
- Heat oil in a kadhai. Add cumin seeds and as they start to sputter, add ginger paste and saute for few seconds. Mix in chopped onions..
- Cook until onions are translucent. Add chopped tomatoes and tomato puree. Mix it well. Cover and cook for 2 minutes.
- Uncover and add all the spices one by one.
- Pour 1/2 cup of water..
- Cover and cook for 7-8 minutes or until tomatoes are soft and tender.
- Pour in cream..
- Chopped cilantro leaves..
- Garam masala powder...
- And mix it well. Adjust seasonings at this point.
- Spread out the masala all around the kadhai/pan and place baingan on top of it.
- Masala will stick to baingan, flip and coat the other side. Maintain the flame at the lowest setting while doing so.
- Baingans are fully coated in masala. Sprinkle 2 tablespoon water on top of these eggplant slices.
- Take it off the flame and let baingan soak in all the flavors.
- Sprinkle chopped cilantro leaves and serve hot with warm rotis.
Disclaimer: Nutritional information provided below is approximate. Variations may exist due to the ingredients/brands used. Please refer to a Registered Dietitian or Nutritionists if you have any health issues.