Another delicacy from the Mughlai cuisine– Sheer Khurma or Sheer korma recipe. Sheer Khurma means ‘milk prepared with dates’. It’s a sweet vermicelli pudding prepared with milk, dates, dry nuts and coconut. A popular dessert enjoyed on the festive occasion of Eid.
I have used half and half in this recipe, which is half cream and half milk. Half & half is much thicker than milk and adds a rich and creamy texture and flavor to any pudding.
FEW SUBSTITUTES –
- Dry mawa powder can be substituted with regular mawa – crumble and add to the recipe.
- Sweetness in this dish comes from raisins and dates, so I have added just 1/4 cup of sugar but feel free to adjust sugar level as per one’s taste.
- Half and half can be substituted with full cream milk – nothing will change in the recipe except the cooking time.
- Don’t have silvered almonds, soak regular almonds in milk for an hour. Peel the skin, slice them in pieces and add to the recipe.
- Likewise soak dates in milk for an hour. Chop them and add to the recipe. Since I have cooked dry nuts along with the boiling milk, I have skipped the soaking part.
Keep stirring milk regularly, making sure it does not stick to the bottom of the pan. Once mawa and coconut is added to the hot pan, reduce heat to the lowest setting and mix – in the milk. Bring to a boil, then immediately turn off the heat and let vermicelli soak in all the flavors. If Sheer khurma gets thick, add some extra milk, adjust sugar and enjoy it hot or cold.
While you are here, try out Vermicelli Kheer recipe.