Halloween Corn Croquettes
Are you looking for a spooky yet kid-friendly appetizer for your Halloween party? Then try these cute little Halloween Corn Croquettes! These mummified croquettes are the perfect trick-or-treat recipe to serve on Halloween night and is guaranteed to please any crowd.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Resting Time 20 minutes
Total Time 1 hour
- 1 can Corn Kernels drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup Carrots peeled, rinsed, and cubed
- 1/4 cup Peas frozen
- 2 small Potatoes boiled and mashed
- 1/4 cup Onions peeled, rinsed, and chopped
- 1 small Green chili chopped
- 1 tablespoon Cilantro leaves rinsed and chopped
PREPARING CORN CROQUETTES
Before you progress with the recipe: thaw just ONE puff pastry sheet at room temperature for at least 30 minutes.
While the pastry sheets are thawing, let’s prepare the corn croquettes. Gather your ingredients – Add corn kernels, frozen peas, and carrots to the food processor.
Pulse until the mixture looks like coarse breadcrumbs. The mixture should look coarse, not smooth, or paste-like. Therefore, take precautions and pulse in increments until you reach the desired texture.
In a large bowl, combine the corn-peas-carrot mixture with mashed potatoes. Mix until incorporated. Add chopped onions and green chilies. Mix in chopped cilantro.
Stir in all the seasonings – cumin seeds, paprika, salt, and pepper. You can taste the mixture at this stage and adjust the seasonings if needed.
Stir in breadcrumbs. Mix until all the ingredients are evenly mixed.
The combined mixture should feel dry, not sticky. Grease your palms with oil and shape the mixture into croquettes. Place the croquettes on a plate and allow to rest in the refrigerator for 20 minutes.
Arrange these croquettes in a single layer in the air fryer.
Bake @375 degree F for 10-12 minutes, turning them about halfway through cooking. Bake until the croquettes are slightly golden brown and crispy. Remove from airfryer and set them aside to cool.
ASSEMBLING HALLOWEEN CORN CROQUETTES
Time to assemble. Unfold the thawed pastry sheet and place it on a lightly flour-dusted surface.
Using a rolling pin, flatten out the dough into a big square.
Start preheating your oven @350 degree F.
Using a pizza cutter, cut the puff pastry sheet lengthwise into 1/4 inch strips. You will end up with 38-40 thin strips. You will need 4 strips in total on each croquette.
Stretch and wrap 3 strips on the bottom part of each corn croquettes. Leave some space in between for the eyes and cover the last strip on the top, making it look like a bandana (headscarf).
Repeat the process with the rest of the croquettes. Secure the end of the last strip by pinching the dough together to secure the strip if necessary.
Arrange the wrapped corn croquettes mummies on a greased baking tray and brush them all with oil.
Bake the corn croquettes mummies, in the preheated oven. At 375 degrees F for 14 -16 minutes or until golden brown.
Brush the freshly-baked croquettes with melted butter and allow the corn croquettes mummies to cool.
Time to attach the eyes to these mummies. I have used a dab of vegan mayo to stick the edible eyeballs to my corn croquettes. Serve these Halloween corn croquette with green chutney or tomato ketchup.
What other dough can I use to make these mummies?
Halloween Corn Croquettes can be made with many different types of doughs. Some tested and tried options are –
What can I use instead of corn croquettes?
To speed up the process, you can swap corn croquettes with store-bought vegetarian kebabs, veggie hot dogs, or frozen paneer rolls.
Can I make these Halloween croquettes ahead of time?
Absolutely! This is a great make-ahead appetizer recipe. Choose your stage:
- frozen pizza dough
- crescent dough
- bread dough
- flaky buttermilk biscuit dough
- homemade pizza dough works best too.
- Shape and refrigerate – shape the corn mixture like croquettes and refrigerate overnight. Stays well for 2 days. You can even freeze the uncooked croquettes for 2 weeks in the freezer. When ready to cook, thaw them at room temperature and proceed with the next step.
- Bake and refrigerate – bake the croquettes until golden brown. Allow them to cool, then store in an airtight container and refrigerate.
- Wrap and refrigerate – wrap the croquettes in puff pastry dough, arrange them on a baking tray. Cover with a plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to bake. When you are ready, bake in a preheated oven until golden brown.
Calories: 105kcal | Carbohydrates: 20g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 160mg | Potassium: 230mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 646IU | Vitamin C: 7mg | Calcium: 40mg | Iron: 2mg