Instant Pot Cracked Wheat Porridge - Meetha Daliya
Enjoy a deliciously sweet bowl of Instant Pot cracked Wheat porridge. This smooth and creamy porridge takes about 20 minutes from start to finish and is the perfect start to your day.
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 10 minutes
Total Time 15 minutes
Servings 6 SERVINGS
Start the Instant Pot in 'SAUTE' mode and add coconut oil to it. Once the coconut oil is melted, add Cracked Wheat.
Cook for 2-3 minutes until it slightly changes its color.
Pour in Almond Milk, crushed green cardamom, dry nuts and give it a good stir. Almond milk provides a creamy texture and a nutty flavor.
Add sugar and mix again. Cancel the saute mode. Select the 'PRESSURE COOK OR MANUAL' mode. Cook on high pressure for 10 minutes.
Wait for the pressure to release naturally (NPR). Once the steam is released, (it takes between 10-20 minutes) the pin will drop automatically.
Once the pin drops, open the pot carefully. Porridge will feel soft but dry. No worries, add extra milk.
Adjust the milk consistency.
A soft and creamy porridge is ready.
Top it with your favorite nuts and enjoy a delicious treat.
CAN I DOUBLE THIS RECIPE?
Of course, you can!
This recipe feeds a family of six, but you can easily double the recipe to make a big batch of porridge. Everything in the recipe remains the same, simply double the ingredients and follow the procedure.
A small tip - Store the porridge in individual containers, and it makes a perfect grab-n-go breakfast option.
HOW LONG CAN YOU STORE CRACKED WHEAT PORRIDGE IN THE REFRIGERATOR?
Cooked porridge can be stored well for up to 3 days in the refrigerator. Store it in an airtight container.
HOW TO REHEAT THIS PORRIDGE?
When ready to serve, spoon the porridge into a serving bowl. It will be pretty thick, don't worry. Add a tablespoon of cold milk and heat the bowl in the microwave on high for about 1 minute.
Mix it well to combine and then add milk to attain the desired consistency. Give it a good stir, and it will become creamy again.
Top with your favorite nuts and enjoy!
The beauty of this recipe is that you can customize in whatever you feel like. Few tested and tried options are -
STOVE TOP METHOD!
- add chia seeds
- sub cardamom with cinnamon. though cinnamon will add an earthy flavor.
- feel free to use any milk - cashew milk, coconut milk, or regular milk.
- for extra flavor add dried fruits like - cranberries, chopped dates, chopped pineapple, or mango to this porridge.
- substitute sugar with coconut sugar if you like. The color of porridge will change. You can also use natural sweeteners like honey agave or maple syrup.
- add color to this porridge by toppings it with fresh fruits like – raspberries, strawberries, blueberries, and cherries.
- Follow the first 4 steps in a pressure cooker.
- Add 2 cups of milk and pressure cook for 4 whistles.
- Let the steam release naturally.
- Adjust milk, sugar and enjoy!
Calories: 179kcal | Carbohydrates: 28g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 190mg | Potassium: 133mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 10g | Calcium: 184mg | Iron: 1mg