Chana Dal Recipe
Mildly flavored chana dal cooked with tomatoes and spices makes it a perfect everyday dal recipe.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
Servings 4 PEOPLE
- 1.5 cup Chana dal OR Bengal Gram lentils
- 1 teaspoon Haldi (Turmeric powder)
- Salt to taste
MAKING A TEMPERING/TADKA
- 1 medium Chopped tomato
- 1 tablespoon Chopped or grated ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon Cumin seeds
- 1.5 teaspoon Coriander powder (sukha dhaniya)
- 1/2 teaspoon Red chili powder
- 1 - 1.5 teaspoon Amchur Powder (Mango Powder)
- 1 tablespoon Chopped cilantro leaves - to sprinkle on top
- 1 tablespoon Ghee for tadka
Clean and wash chana dal.
Assemble ingredients that are required for boiling the dal.
In a pressure cooker add dal,salt and turmeric powder. Add enough water to cook the dal. For me it was 2 cups of water for 1 cup dal.
Cook for 2- 4 whistles or until dal is tender. Cooking time may vary depending on dal texture and may take 4-6 whistles to cook the dal. Boiled dal is ready.
Meanwhile assemble ingredients for tadka.
In a kadhai heat ghee. Add cumin seeds and when they start to sputter add in chopped ginger and saute for a minute. Mix in chopped tomatoes..
Mix in all the spices, add 3 tablespoon water, cover and cook on medium low flame until tomatoes are tender and soft.
Mix in boiled dal. Add water accordingly.
Add in amchur powder and adjust the salt content.
Chana dal is ready.
Garnish it with cilantro leaves and serve with pooris or Pakwan.