Instant Pot Broccoli Lentil Soup
A combination of lentil, broccoli, fresh veggies, and spices make up this hearty and healthy Instant Pot Broccoli Lentil Soup. Pair this flavor-packed soup with some homemade bread for a wholesome meal tonight.
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 10 minutes
Total Time 25 minutes
Servings 6 SERVINGS
- - - Fresh squeeze of lemon
Wash lentils under cold water until the water runs clear. Set it aside.
Drizzle oil into the Instant Pot. Set it to SAUTE. Once the oil is hot, add onions, garlic, and ginger.
Cook onions, garlic, and ginger stirring often, until the onions are translucent.
Stir in celery, carrots, and sauté for 3-4 minutes.
Add broccoli florets.
Add lentils to the pot and stir to combine with the veggies.
Add turmeric, cumin, black pepper, red chili, and salt. Pour 5-6 cups of water/veg stock. Make sure everything is covered under water.
Cover, and seal the Instant Pot. Cancel the 'Saute' mode. Select 'Manual' mode and then set to cook on HIGH pressure for 5 minutes.
Once 5 minutes are done, wait for 2 minutes then release the pressure. Open the lid and stir the soup.
Hand blend the soup with a spatula. If the soup is too thick for your liking, add 1/4 cup of water or stock until you reach your desired consistency.
I prefer a thick and hearty soup that's the reason I have hand blended my soup but feel free to use an immersion blender to blend your soup.
Taste and adjust the seasoning. Serve hot with a sprinkle of red chili flakes and chopped cilantro leaves. Also, squeeze a generous amount of lemon for bright, fresh flavor.
Tips to Consider!
DON'T HAVE AN INSTANT POT, COOK IT OVER THE COOKTOP!
- Make sure all your content (veggies and lentils) are covered under water. If you feel the water/vegetable stock is less then add an extra 1/2 cup of liquid to the recipe.
- If the water is excess, it will not harm the recipe. Before grinding, let the excess water evaporate on 'Saute mode '. Just keep stirring until the soup is thick.
- To make this soup on a cooktop, use a heavy-bottomed pan. Follow the same steps until you have added water and spices.
- Cover and simmer until the veggies and lentils are soft - about 30 minutes.
- Add water as needed during the cooking process.
- When cooked, hand-blend the vegetables and lentils until smooth.
Calories: 261kcal | Carbohydrates: 36g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 71mg | Potassium: 726mg | Fiber: 16g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 11350IU | Vitamin C: 20.3mg | Calcium: 66mg | Iron: 4.1mg