Another great vrat recipe – Vrat Rajgiria Puri or Amaranth ki poori. Deep fried puffed pooris prepared by combining amaranth flour with boiled potatoes and spices. Amaranth flour is a gluten-free, protein-rich flour and is derived from the seeds of the amaranth plant, which is a leafy vegetable.
Because its gluten-free, amaranth flour is a sticky dough as compared to the wheat flour dough.To bind this dough together boiled and mashed potato is added to the recipe. During the kneading process be careful while adding water. Add water by spoon and knead a soft pliable dough.Rolling Amaranth flour could be difficult. Work it in between two plastic sheets or using your palm spread it out in thin circles. This same recipe can be used to make Amaranth roti or paratha.
During fasting period people just eat fruits and vegetables and instead of regular flour and rice they substitute their diet with falahari dishes. An ideal fasting food and an excellent accompaniment to Jeera aloo or Vrat ke aloo!! This fasting season try other vrat recipes – Sabudana Ladoo, Vrat Rajgiria Puri, Sabudana Uttapam, Kuttu and Singhare ke atte ki Roti, Sabudana Khichdi, Sabudana Vrat Dosa, Sama ki Tikki or Sabudana Vada and more….
Amaranth flour is also known as Rajgiria flour – see image below.
DISCLAIMER – If you do not consume a particular veggie or spice during Navratri , feel free to leave that out and follow your family vrat guidelines.
Vrat Rajgiria Puri
- Assemble all the ingredients. Boil, peel and mash the potatoes.
- In a large bowl add all the ingredients..
- Rub and mix them well.
- Add water spoon by spoon and knead a soft pliable dough. This dough will not be a firm dough like the wheat dough. Cover the dough and allow it to sit for 12-15 minutes.
- Heat oil in a pan. Meanwhile make a small ball out of the dough.
- Using your fingers or palm keep pressing down on the dough and form a puri like circle.
- It will look like this.
- Once the oil is hot, deep fry the puris till they are golden brown in color.
- Remove from oil and place it on a paper napkin to drain all the excess oil.
- Serve hot and enjoy with Jeera aloo and vrat ki chutney. Happy Fasting!!
Disclaimer: Nutritional information provided below is approximate. Variations may exist due to the ingredients/brands used. Please refer to a Registered Dietitian or Nutritionists if you have any health issues.