Looking for a healthy breakfast – try out this simple and nutritious Vermicelli Upma recipe for breakfast. Vermicelli is a very thin pasta broken into small strips. The beauty of this vermicelli is that it’s made out of wheat and it cooks up fast. A delicious breakfast that is enjoyed and relished in my house every weekend. Vermicelli can be substituted with angel hair pasta.
Vermicelli needs to be toasted and placed in hot water before cooking. Boiling it in its raw form will result into a lump of wheat dough. While toasting make sure the flame setting is on low and keep stirring as it browns up pretty fast. Do not boil vermicelli rather place them in boiled water for 2-3 minutes until soft. After 2 minutes spoon out some strings of vermicelli – feel them in between your fingers and if they feel soft they are ready for cooking. Drain them till their last drop and allow them to dry out. They will look sticky – don’t worry allow it to dry out and then using a fork fluff them up.
Improvise and play around with the ingredients – bell peppers, green onions and even peanuts can be added to this recipe. Other way to cook vermicelli upma would be – after toasting vermicelli, keep it aside. Prepare its tempering and add toasted vermicelli to the mix, add enough water to cover vermicelli. Cover and cook till vermicelli has absorbed all the water and is soft.
Do try out our Sweet Vermicelli recipe – Meethi Seviyan.
Are we friend's yet? For recipe ideas, do follow @ruchiskitchen on -
For recipe ideas, do follow @ruchiskitchen on -
Don’t forget to ⭐ rate the recipe and leave me a comment below!
- 1.5 cup Whole wheat Vermicelli
- 1 small Chopped Onion
- 1/2 cup Frozen Peas and carrots
- 8 pieces of Curry leaves
- 1/8 teaspoon Mustard seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon Crushed chili peppers
- Salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon Oil
- Assemble all the ingredients.
- In a pan dry toast vermicelli on a low flame.
- It will be done in 3 minutes. Keep a watch as it gets toasted pretty fast.
- Boil water in a pan, add 2 teaspoon oil, add toasted vermicelli and let it stand in hot water for 2 minutes. Using a spoon; spoon out some vermicelli and press, if they feel soft - they are ready. If they are still crunchy keep them in hot water for another minute and a half until soft.
- Drain the water and allow it to cool down completely. Keep boiled vermicelli in open and let it dry out.
- Meanwhile heat oil in a kadhai/pan and add mustard seeds and curry leaves. When they start to sputter mix in chopped onions and saute for a minute. Mix in peas and carrots and cook for another 1 minute.
- Mix in salt...
- Crushed red chili.
- Mix in boiled and cooled vermicelli..
- And fold it gently with the mixture. Use a gentle hand to mix or else they will get mushy. Take it off the flame and let it sit for couple of minutes before serving.
- Using a fork fluff them up and serve.