A very basic way of preparing keema gobi. Not to be confused with non-veg keema recipe, it’s a totally VEGETARIAN DISH. As the name suggest cauliflower or gobi is not minced rather it’s trimmed into tiny and very tiny pieces which resembles like a minced gobi florets. I have seen my aunts making this dish by mincing gobi , adding spices and cooking it but my mom always trimmed gobi/cauliflower into tiny florets and cooked till they were tender. So I present you her way of cooking which I had enjoyed all my childhood.
This dish can be improvised and prepared in many ways. Preparing an onion tomato base and then tossing cauliflower florets in it would be a great addition. It will certainly enhance flavor of the overall dish. Or you can really add more flavor by allowing gobi to sit in the kadai a bit longer and let it caramelize a bit. Yum…yum..yum.
I like this dish to be spicy so added more garam masala but again improvise as per one’s taste. I think gobi tastes better when fresh out of the pan but it heats up great for leftovers, too. Have leftovers, adjust seasonings, add it to a bread slice and toast them up like sandwiches.
Enjoy a flavorful cauliflower dish which I am sure you will love!!
Vegetarian Keema Gobi
- Wash and trim cauliflower.
- Snap florets into tiny florets.
- Tiny as in very very tiny pieces.
- The florets will look like this.
- The whole cutting process will take 10-15 minutes depending on the size of the cauliflower.
- Assemble all the ingredients.
- Heat oil in a kadhai, add cumin seeds, ginger and saute for a minute. Add cauliflower florets..
- Mix in haldi and red chili powder or flakes, peas and give it a good mix. Sprinkle some water...
- And cover and cook for 7-8 minutes or until cauliflower is tender. Remember cauliflower florets are so tiny that they will cook up faster.
- Once soft and tender mix in rest of the spices and toss them. While tossing they will break up and resemble as keema or minced gobhi. Still mix it up gently.
- Adjust seasonings...
- Add some chopped cilantro leaves or kastoori methi and...
- Serve hot with warm rotis or parathas.