Who doesn’t love spring rolls ? These yummy and delicious crispy appetizers are a great way of serving all kinds of veggies under one wrap. Very adaptive recipe and feel free to play around with the ingredients. I am sharing veg spring rolls recipe with you, but meat and tofu lovers can add finely chopped meat/tofu pieces to this recipe. However, the end result will be crispy and crunchy healthy spring rolls that are baked to perfection.
Earlier, I have always prepared my spring rolls with store bought wonton/spring roll wrappers but this time, I tried my very own homemade spring rolls wrappers and they were equally good. I make them in a large quantity and freeze them for future use.
RECIPE DETAIL – Veg spring rolls are fairly easy to make and are prepared with fresh veggies. To begin with, wash, and finely chop all the veggies. Saute until tender, do not overcook them – they should still have a little crunch left to them. Add sauces of your choice and once the veggies are done, transfer them to a bowl and place them in the refrigerator to cool down prior to the spring roll assembly. This step is important, if skipped, the spring roll wrappers will become soggy and difficult to work with.
Homemade spring roll wrappers can always substitute with store bought wonton wrappers or spring roll sheets to save some time. Follow the step by step tutorial below on how to assemble/shape the spring roll. I prefer to bake my spring rolls but as per taste, you can fry them in hot oil.
Best part, these rolls can be made ahead of time, wrap them with a plastic wrap and store in refrigerator until ready to bake or fry. When ready, bake them in hot oven until crisp and golden brown. No one can guess that they are baked with just 1 tablespoon of butter. 🙂
Enjoy your favorite appetizer guilt-free without sacrificing the flavors – still delicious, crunchy and SUPER – HEALTHY!!
CAN’T MAKE IT NOW, PIN IT FOR LATER?
Did you make this recipe?
Tag @Ruchiskitchen on
Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest | Twitter
With your pictures, I would love to see your yummy creations!
Veg Spring Rolls
- 1 cup Finely chopped cabbage
- 1 cup Finely chopped Green capsicum
- 1 cup Finely chopped Red Capsicum
- 1/2 cup Finely chopped green beans (optional)
- 1/2 cup Thinely sliced carrots (optional)
- 1/2 cup Bean sprouts (optional)
- 1 cup Finely Chopped onions
- 2 tablespoon Soy sauce
- 1.5 tablespoon Homemade Szechuan sauce (adjust according to taste)
- 1 teaspoon Coarsely crushed black peppercorns
- Salt to taste
- 2 tablespoon Oil or Olive oil
- 1 packet of Thin Noodles
- 1 tablespoon Butter to brush the top
- 30-32 pieces of Homemade wrappers
PREPARE THE FILLING
- Assemble and chop all the veggies.
- Heat water in a pan, add noodles and cover the pan for 2 minutes. Depending on the type of the noodles, you may need to boil them until soft and tender. Drain and set it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add veggies...
- Saute for a minute. Save cabbage for the last.
- Add cabbage..
- Saute for another minute until the veggies are tender. They should still have a little crunch left to them.
- Stir in the sauces and spices.
- Mix in boiled noodles..
- Stir until well blended..
- Allow it to cool down completely before stuffing the wrappers.
FOLDING SPRING ROLLS
- Homemade egg free wrappers.
- Make a thick paste of flour and water.
- Take a wrapper, and place about 1.5 tablespoons of the filling right in the center.
- Fold the bottom part over it.
- Now fold in the left and right side and make it look like a little envelope.
- Secure the sides.
- Now give it a roll and when you have a little pointy tip left...
- Apply some wet flour mixture that we prepared above and roll to seal the spring roll.
BAKING SPRING ROLLS
- Bake oven at 400 degree F. Repeat the process with rest of the wrappers. Arrange them on a baking tray.
- Apply butter on top.
- Place them in a hot oven and...
- Bake for 12- 15 minutes or until brown and crispy. Mine were done in 15 minutes. Oven temperatures may vary.
- Baked crispy golden rolls are ready.
- Serve them with the dip or chutney of your choice.