Warm-up your winter evenings with a bowl of freshly made Tamatar ka shorba – Spiced Indian Tomato soup. Simply, toss everything in your Instant Pot, and a flavorsome and healthy soup will be ready for you in less than 30 minutes.
Top it with warm, crispy, cubes of croutons and enjoy a soul-warming shorba/chorba that is nearly impossible to resist.
As the weather cools down, my family goes soup-crazy. Trust me; there is nothing more satisfying than slurping down a hearty bowl of warm-and-comforting soup or shorba.
Don’t you agree?
If the answer is yes, then here comes my all-time favorite winter soup – tomato ka shorba, also known as Tamatar ka shorba.
In this term – tamatar ka shorba, tamatar translates to “tomato” in Indian, and shorba or chorba, on the other hand, means a rich stew.
The greatest thing about this shorba is that it is –
✔ Comes together in less than 30 minutes
✔ Filling, and
✔ A must-have in winters.
What is shorba?
The preparation of Shorba dates back to Persian times. In the word ‘Shorba,’ ‘Shor‘ refers to as ‘salty and ‘Ba‘ means ‘a stew-like-dish prepared by simmering meat in boiling water.’
Travelers used to make Shorba (meat version) on the road with whatever spice and ingredient they had on hand, and that is how the term Shorba spread as far as it could.
Traditionally, shorba or chorba was a thick and spicy version of either a vegetable or meat gravy, which had a soup-like consistency.
But over the years, Shorba has undergone multiple modifications with simple ingredients to suit a wide variety of taste buds and many vegetarian alternatives of Shorba have surfaced.
The recipe that I have here is named after an Arabic term – ‘Shurbah,’ meaning soup.
So, what makes this tamatar ka shorba different from the regular tomato soup?
For starters, this tomato shorba or spiced Indian tomato soup is a significantly lightened up version of a classic tomato soup recipe.
Though it may look quite similar to the soup, the combination of herbs and spices in this recipe gives Shorba a very distinct flavor.
Besides that, soup is often served as starters, but Shorba or chorba can be served as an accompaniment to the main dish or in between courses.
What makes up this Tamatar ka shorba – Spiced Indian Tomato soup?
This dump-and-go tomato shorba soup is made up of –
- Tomatoes – thick, pulpy tomatoes provide the base for this hearty shorba.
- Onion, ginger, and garlic – the basics that you always have on hand.
- Green chili – adds a hint of spice.
- Whole spices like – star anise, black cardamom, bay leaves, cinnamon, and cloves – the aromatic spices that brighten-up the flavors of this shorba recipe.
- Water – You can use vegetable stock for this shorba recipe. Veg stock will lend a deep, rich flavor.
How to make Tamatar ka shorba – Spiced Indian Tomato soup?
1. Wash and pat dry the tomatoes. Slice tomatoes into halves. Add the sliced tomatoes to the Instant Pot insert.
2. Add onion, green chili, ginger, and garlic.
3. Add cinnamon stick and star anise.
4. Add bay leaves, cloves, and whole black cardamom.
5. Pour in water and mix to combine. Close the lid and seal the pot.
6. Press the Manual or pressure cook button and cook the Instant Pot tamatar Ka Shorba (Spiced Indian Tomato Soup) for 7 minutes on HIGH.
Once the cooking time has elapsed, turn off the Instant Pot. Allow the pressure to release naturally. When the pin drops, carefully open the lid.
7. Just before you blend the shorba, discard all the whole spices.
8. Using an immersion blender, blend the tomato shorba.
9. Blend the shorba until smooth.
10. Prepare the tempering. Heat oil in a pan. Add cumin seeds to it, and as they start to crackle. Take the pan off the flame.
11. Pour the tempering/tadka over tamatar ka shorba.
12. Mix to combine. Serve hot topped with croutons, cilantro leaves, and crushed black pepper.
How to cook Tamatar ka shorba in an stovetop Pressure cooker?
1. Add all the ingredients to a pressure cooker.
2. Pour in water. Mix to combine. Close the lid.
3. Pressure cook for 4-5 whistles (20-25 minutes in a pressure cooker without whistle).
4. Once the pressure is released naturally, open the lid. Discard the whole spices.
5. Blend the tomato shorba until smooth. Prepare the tempering and pour over the shorba.
Faq’s to make the best Tamatar ka shorba – Spiced Indian Tomato soup!
» Can you use canned tomatoes? You sure can. If you plan to use canned tomatoes, reduce the quantity of water to 1 cup. After blending, if you find the shorba thick, gradually stir in more liquid until your shorba reaches the perfect consistency.
» Can you skip green chilies? Of course. Feel free to adjust the spice level to your liking.
» Can you add extra vegetables to tomato shorba? Absolutely! For an extra boost of nutrition, add carrots, spinach or any leafy greens of your choice to make it more flavorful.
» Can you skip the tempering? I would not recommend that. The essence of tamatar ka shorba or chorba lies in its tadka or tempering.
Just before serving, give a tadka of toasted cumin seeds, and this will add extra flavor and texture to this soup.
» Is this Tamatar ka shorba – Spiced Indian Tomato soup Freezer friendly? Of course, it is.
Make a big batch of this hearty shorba and freeze in individual servings. Thaw and reheat on a cooktop when you need a quick last-minute warm meal.
» How to store Tamatar ka shorba? Store the cooled shorba in an airtight container in your refrigerator. It’s good for three to four days.
» Add a teaspoon of sugar or jaggery to balance sour flavor from the tomatoes.
Let me know in the comments if you try this recipe. Feel free to contact me with any questions or inquiries, and I would be happy to answer them.
CRAVING FOR MORE, TRY MY OTHER FLAVOR-PACKED VEGAN SOUPS-
Tamatar ka shorba – Spiced Indian Tomato soup
INGREDIENTS NEEDED TO BOIL THE SHORBA
- 7 medium Tomatoes
- 2 cloves of Garlic
- 1 inch piece of Ginger
- 1 small Onion roughly cubed
- 1 small Green chili (optional)
- 1 piece of Star Anise (Chakra phool)
- 2 pieces of Whole Black Cardamom (Moti eliachi)
- 3 pieces of Bay leaves (Tej patta)
- 1 stick of Cinnamon (Dalchini)
- 3-4 pieces of Cloves (Laung)
- Salt to taste
- 1½ cup Water (to boil soup)
INGREDIENTS FOR TEMPERING
- 1½ teaspoon Oil
- 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds (Jeera)
- – – Cashew Cream (optional)
- – – Chopped cilantro leaves
- – – Coarsely crushed black peppercorns
- – – Croutons
PREPARE TAMATAR KA SHORBA
- Wash and pat dry the tomatoes. Slice tomatoes into halves. Add the sliced tomatoes to the Instant Pot insert.
- Add onion, green chili, ginger, and garlic.
- Add cinnamon stick, star anise, bay leaves, cloves, and whole black cardamom.
- Pour in water and mix to combine. Close the lid and seal the pot.
- Press the Manual or pressure cook button and cook the Instant Pot tamatar Ka Shorba (Spiced Indian Tomato Soup) for 7 minutes on HIGH.
- Once the cooking time has elapsed, turn off the Instant Pot. Allow the pressure to release naturally. When the pin drops, carefully open the lid.
- Just before you blend the shorba, discard all the whole spices.
- Using an immersion blender, blend the tomato shorba until smooth.
- Prepare the tempering. Heat oil in a pan. Add cumin seeds to it, and as they start to crackle. Take the pan off the flame.
- Pour the tempering/tadka over tamatar ka shorba.
- Mix to combine. Serve hot topped with croutons, cilantro leaves, and crushed black pepper.