Since it’s Navratri week, here is another yummy delicacy – Sweet Potato Cutlet. Also referred to as shakarkandi ki cutlet. This healthy, gluten-free, no onion no garlic cutlet is super yum and easy to prepare. Just toss everything together, mix, shape and cook. A perfect recipe for Navratri or any other vrat. No one can tell the difference, even the picky eater will eat it without a fuss. 😉
Yummy sweet potato cutlets are crispy and crunchy on the outside and super soft on the inside – they will just melt in your mouth. The best part is, they can be made ahead of time – just shape them and store in refrigerator. When ready to eat, cook until crispy- they are so light, d-licious and full of flavor! Sweet Potato Cutlet
RECIPE DETAIL – Combine boiled and mashed sweet potato with all the ingredients, shape and cook in oil or ghee. If you are not a huge lover of sweet potato try substitute it with potato.
I have added grated bottle gourd( lauki) to this recipe. Grate lauki and squeeze tightly to remove all the excess water until it feels dry. Add it to the cutlet mixture. Remember – to remove all the water before adding it to the mix or else the whole mixture will be very difficult to bind.
Final mix will be on a gooey side and sabudana + powdered cashew are enough to bind this mixture. But feel free to add a tablespoon of kuttu flour or arrowroot four, if you feel the mixture is too wet. Shape and cook as shown below. Pair it with vrat ki chutney and enjoy!!
If not using it as a vrat recipe, then add breadcrumbs or cornflour to the mixture. It binds pretty well and adds extra crunchiness. Stuff it in a bun, top with chutneys, and enjoy!!
Also try other vrat delicacies- Tawa aloo chaat, Vrat dhokla, Vrat idli, Sabudana Ladoo, Vrat Rajgiria Puri, Sabudana Uttapam, Kuttu and Singhare ke atte ki Roti, Sabudana Khichdi, Sabudana Vrat Dosa, Sama ki Tikki or Sabudana Vada and more….
CAN’T MAKE IT NOW, PIN IT FOR LATER?
Did you make this recipe?
Tag @Ruchiskitchen on
Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest | Twitter
With your pictures, I would love to see your yummy creations!
Sweet Potato Cutlet
- 1/2 cup Soaked Sabudana/Sago
- 1 big Sweet potato
- 1/4 cup Grated and drained lauki
- 2 tablespoon Cashew powder
- 1 teaspoon Dried mint leaves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon Roasted cumin seeds - crushed and sprinkle on top
- 1/2 teaspoon Red chili powder
- 2 tablespoon Chopped cilantro leaves
- Salt to Taste (Sendha Namak)
- 2-3 tablespoon Oil/Ghee
- 1 - 2 tablespoon Kuttu Flour (optional)
- Assemble all the ingredients. Grate lauki and squeeze tightly to remove all the excess water until it feels dry. (read notes)
- Boil sweet potato.
- Peel and mash sweet potato in a bowl.
- Add all the ingredients..
- Add sabudana..
- Add chopped cilantro and...
- Mix it well. This mixture will be on a gooey side.
- Grease your hands and shape it into cutlets.
- Heat and grease a pan or tawa. Add cutlets to it.
- Keep turning occasionally, try using a fork - it's much easier.
- Cook until crispy and brown.
- Can be made ahead of time, shape and store them in refrigerator. When ready to eat, cook until crispy.
- Serve hot with green chutney and a cup of hot tea (link posted above).