Sweet and Spicy Tofu Pizza made with homemade wheat crust and topped with spicy jerk tofu and homemade pineapple salsa. So crusty, flavorful and delicious! Sweet and Spicy Tofu Pizza
Who doesn’t love Friday? Friday means weekend and weekend means – “Family time”!! With growing kids and their busy schedules, the ritual of sitting together and sharing a meal seems pretty far-fetched. Sweet and Spicy Tofu Pizza
So, Friday evenings are always family pizza and movie night in our house. We bake and eat pizza, cuddle with kids, watch an old classic movie and try to cherish these little moments. 🙂
This Sweet and spicy tofu pizza is my family’s favorite pizza. If given a choice, my kids would really eat this pizza every night. 🙂
This Sweet and Spicy Tofu Pizza is inspired by our local pizza eatery. They sell THE best spicy jerk tofu pizza in town. It’s so delicious that it will delight anyone who loves tofu and pineapple combo!
I have to let you in on a little secret here, I am not a huge fan of pineapple in my pizza but after tasting this one, I have to say – it’s amazing! The robust flavor of jerk tofu complements the sweet-and-spicy flavor of fresh pineapple salsa.
Now onto the recipe!
We begin by making our homemade pizza crust. I have posted the recipe in my veggie pizza recipe and the link is shared below in the ingredient section too. Feel free to take a shortcut and substitute homemade pizza base for a store-bought one.
This recipe is quite different from the normal pizza!
It doesn’t use the traditional red sauce, instead, the base sauce is a combo of sweet and sour sauce (store bought) and homemade jerk sauce (recipe is given below).
Homemade jerk sauce is a hot and spicy chili sauce. To help offset the spiciness of the hot and spicy chili sauce, I have mixed-in some sweet and sour sauce. If you’re not a big fan of spicy food then you can certainly add more brown sugar to your jerk sauce to balance the heat.
Cut and saute tofu until crispy. Crispy tofu is later tossed in homemade jerk sauce that adds a great layer of flavor and deliciousness to this pizza.
Layer pizza as shown below. Finally, sprinkle mozzarella cheese and bake until cheese is all melted. I am sure you will love the multiple layers of flavors that are packed in this sweet and spicy tofu pizza.
Feel like making changes to this pizza!
This recipe is very versatile and can be modified to your liking. You can –
- substitute tofu for any kind of protein you like
- not a tofu lover, no worries – simply substitute tofu for paneer
- love the crunch of raw red onions, then add some on top.
Feel free to play around with the ingredients, if you desire.
Do give this pizza a try and if you happen to make this recipe, please comment below and leave your feedback. You can also find me on social media. Be sure to tag @ruchiskitchen (one word) or #ruchiskitchen. I would love to see your creation!
LOOKING FOR MORE RECIPES, FIND ME ON PINTEREST!
CAN’T MAKE IT NOW, PIN IT FOR LATER ON YOUR BOARD.
ALSO FOLLOW ME ON:
Sweet and Spicy Tofu Pizza
- 1 recipe Pizza dough
- 1 packet Extra firm tofu (340 grams)
- 2 cups Homemade Pineapple salsa
- 2 cups Low fat Shredded Mozzarella cheese
- 3/4 cup Sweet and sour sauce
- 1 cup Gouda cheese or Monterey Jack Cheese
- 2 medium Onions, thinly sliced
HOMEMADE JERK SAUCE
- 2-3 pieces of Habanero peppers or red chilies
- 1 small piece of Ginger
- 2 small Garlic cloves
- 3 stalks of Chopped Green Onions
- 1.5 tablespoon Tomato puree
- 2 teaspoon Roasted cumin seeds , crushed
- 1 teaspoon Coarsely crushed black peppercorns
- 1/4 teaspoon Allspice
- 2-3 tablespoon Lemon Juice
- 1 tablespoon Vinegar
- 2 tablespoon Brown Sugar or Regular sugar
- Salt to taste
- 2 tablespoon Olive oil
HOW TO MAKE TOFU SAUCE
- Follow the link above to make homemade pizza dough at home.
- Use extra firm tofu for this recipe.
- Cube or slice tofu.
- Heat olive oil in a pan and add tofu to the pan. Cook until slight brown in color. Set it aside.
- Assemble ingredients for Jerk sauce.
- Add tomato puree and red chilies (habanero chilies) to a mixer and grind it to paste.
- Heat oil in a pan, add the grounded paste and cook for a minute. Mix in rest of the ingredients and cook.
- Cook until sauce is thick and reduced in quantity.
- Add tofu.
- Mix until well blended.
- Allow it to cool.
- Preheat oven @350 degree F. Assemble ingredients for pizza.
- Roll the dough on a baking tray and poke holes at the base.
- I prefer my base to be slightly toasted before adding the sauce. So I have covered the base with beans and baked @350 degree F for 8 -10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and spread both the sauces at the base.
- Coat it well.
- Sprinkle Gouda cheese.
- Add pineapple salsa...
- Add jerk tofu..
- Finally add mozzarella cheese.
- Transfer it to a preheated oven.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until cheese is all bubbly and melted.
- Homemade sweet and spicy tofu pizza is ready.
- Cut yourself a big slice and enjoy!!
Disclaimer: Nutritional information provided below is approximate. Variations may exist due to the ingredients/brands used. Please refer to a Registered Dietitian or Nutritionists if you have any health issues.