Fluffy , hearty and instant savory pancakes made with handful of ingredients. These gluten-free Sawa Chawal and Sabudana Vrat Uttapam taste delicious and are simply irresistible!
What is your favorite Navratri delicacy besides sabudana dosa, sabudana khichdi or vrat ki idli ? For me it is Sawa Chawal and Sabudana Vrat Uttapam. A quick and easy recipe made with ingredients that you normally have in your fridge or pantry.
This falahari uttapam is made with soaked sawa ke chawal and soaked sabudana. Sawa ke chawal when paired up with sago pearls makes a perfect uttapam.
Wondering what is Sama rice? Sama rice or barnyard millets/mordhan/moraiyo is a gluten- free grain which behaves like rice and is a perfect fasting ingredient. Type sama rice on my blog search option and look for other sama rice preparation.
Now onto the recipe!
Simple basic recipe just like ordinary uttapam. Both sawa ke chawal and sabudana are soaked for 3 hours and later ground into paste.c I would recommend soaking them first thing in the morning and carry on with the rest of the day so that by the time you are ready to cook; your ingredients are well puffed and ready to go.
Make the batter of a thick pouring consistency. While grinding the batter, add water 1 tablespoon at a time – depending on the thickness of the batter you may need a little more or less water.
If your batter is too thick, it will be difficult to work with. (See pic no – 11 below to get an idea of the batter consistency)
Heat and grease a griddle and spoon the batter onto the hot griddle and spread in a circular motion. If you prefer thick uttapam just give your batter two swirls and if you like it thin and crispy keep spreading till it is thin from all the sides.
Top it with your favorite toppings and enjoy!! These uttapams turned out to be light, moist and tender. Enjoy them hot with Vrat ki green chutney.
DISCLAIMER – If you do not consume a particular ingredient during Navratri , feel free to leave that out and follow your family vrat guidelines.
Do give these yummy uttapams a try and if you happen to make these, then share your yum pictures with me @facebook. Would love to see your creations!
Updated from the recipe archives, first published in Oct 2015.
Are we friend's yet?
For new updates and recipes, follow @ruchiskitchen on -
Don’t forget to ⭐ rate the recipe and leave me a comment below.
Sawa Chawal and Sabudana Vrat Uttapam
- 1 cup Shredded lauki (bottle gourd)
- 2 tablespoon Chopped cliantro
- 1 small Green chilies, chopped (optional)
- Soak sama ke chawal for 3 hours.
- Likewise, soak Sabudana/sago pearls for 3 hours.
- After the desired time, strain sama rice and sabudana through a strainer.
- Transfer them to a mixer..
- Assemble rest of the ingredients.
- Add spices, curd and water to make a not-so-thick batter. Be careful while adding water. Start slowly and add enough water to make a thick pouring batter- approximately 1/4 cup.
- Grind it to a fine paste.
- Transfer it to a bowl.
- Assemble toppings for uttapam. For me it was shredded lauki (bottle gourd), red chili flakes and dried mint leaves, crushed.
- Heat and grease a nonstick tawa/griddle.
- Spoon some batter on the hot tawa and..
- In a circular motion keep spreading it over the tawa.
- If you like your uttapam to be thick then give it just two swirl. Brush the corners of uttapam with oil. Cover and cook for 1 minute or until the base is cooked.
- Top with your favorite toppings.
- Using a flat spatula lift uttapam and flip it over.
- Gently press it down and cook it from the other side.
- Once the toppings are cooked flip it back up..
- Serve hot with Vrat ki green Chutney.