Are you looking for a super delicious recipe that makes your fasting an enjoyable experience? Here comes the scrumptious Sabudana Vrat Uttapam that is remarkably soft, fluffy, and an instant savory recipe for you to relish. Your fasting will surely become a feast with a delicacy like this falahari vrat wala Uttapam!
This irresistible dish is an instant hit whether prepared as a vrat meal or a regular meal. All you need is soaked Sawa ke chawal and soaked Sabudana to prepare this amazing delicacy.
Sabudana pairs quite brilliantly with sawa rice to make a delicious Uttapam that we are making today.
What is Sabudana Vrat Uttapam?
‘Sabudana’ is the Hindi name for tapioca pearls, also known as Sago.
Vrat is the Hindi term for fasting, and since Sabudana is supposed to be an ideal food during fasting, this recipe came into existence.
Uttapam is the name given to pancakes made with some kind of flour or semolina.
In this recipe, the pancakes are made with Sabudana/ Sago and sawa rice; therefore, they are called Sabudana Uttapam.
Sawa rice, also known as barnyard millets/ mordhan/ moraiyo, is a gluten-free grain having properties very close to the usual rice and makes for a perfect fasting ingredient.
This recipe is prepared with Sabudana and Sawa rice as the key ingredients and yogurt, bottle gourd, and a few other ingredients and seasonings as the add-ons.
Sabudana Uttapam makes a perfect Vrat recipe as it is light on the stomach and prepares quickly without much effort.
Reasons You’ll ♡ Sabudana Vrat Uttapam
Sabudana Vrat Uttapam is a tasty treat that elevates the joy of fasting. The reasons you will love this Vrat Uttapam are —
- One of the best fasting recipes that hardly take time to prepare.
- Comes together with just a few handy ingredients.
- Crispy and succulent and a perfect savory dish for fasting.
- Naturally gluten-free, and can be vegan too.
- Makes for a hearty and healthy meal!
The best part is, that you can pack these vrat wale uttapams or pancakes in the lunchbox, and they will make for a comforting meal.
Ingredient list for Sabudana Vrat Uttapam
The ingredients to make Sawa Chawal and Sabudana Vrat Uttapam is probably sitting in your pantry. This part explains the role of each element in this recipe.
Sawa rice —This is one of the key ingredients of our savory Sabudana Sama rice Uttapams.
Sabudana pearls — The key ingredients of this recipe, Sago/ Tapioca pearls, lend an exciting texture to our delicious Vrat Uttapams.
Yogurt — Whisked curd is added for fermentation and a slight sourness to the Uttapams.
Red Chilli powder — Added for the required hotness for the recipe.
Vrat salt/ rock salt — Sendha Namak or rock salt is used for cooking during fastings as regular salt is restricted.
Oil — Used for frying Uttapams.
Lauki — Shredded bottle gourd is used as a topping for our delicious Uttapams.
Cilantro — Garnished with chopped cilantro, Uttapams look their tempting best!
Green Chilies — Used for making the Uttapams lip-smacking hot.
How to make Sabudana Vrat Uttapam
For the FULL, printable recipe card, please scroll down to the bottom of this post.
Expert tips & Variations
Use fresh Sago pearls/ Sabudana of good quality — Always use fresh and good quality Sabudana; otherwise, it will have an unpleasant flavor that spoils the dish’s taste.
Watch the consistency of the batter — Do not add more water to the batter, as this will ruin the consistency. Make a thick pouring batter for the best Uttapams that are fluffy and spongy.
Add your favorite toppings — I have added shredded bottle gourd, red chili flakes, and dried mint leaves as toppings to my Vrat Uttapam.
You may add any toppings of your choice to make the delicious Uttapam that delights you the most.
For a vegan version — To make this Sabudana Vrat Uttapam vegan, skip adding yogurt and instead add whisked plant-based yogurt like soybean yogurt.
Choose the thickness as per your liking — You can swirl the batter twice on the tawa if you like the Uttapam thick and succulent. But if you prefer it thin and crispier, keep spreading it until you attain the right shape.
To make crispier Uttapams — Try using ghee instead of oil for making more crispy and yummy Uttapams.
Let me know what you think!
Sabudana Uttapams are great when it comes to preparing a quick fasting meal. If you are looking for a delicious recipe to delight your palate this Navratri, these Vrat Uttapams are the best bet.
Collect your ingredients and the spoon, and let us begin the excursion.
Should you make this Sawa Chawal and Sabudana Vrat Uttapam, please let me know your thoughts by sharing your comment below.
And don’t forget to share it with your family and friends.
SOME OTHER YUMMY VRAT RECIPES THAT YOU’LL LOVE –
Sawa Chawal and Sabudana Vrat Uttapam
- 1 cup Shredded lauki (bottle gourd)
- 2 tablespoon Chopped cliantro
- 1 small Green chilies, chopped (optional)
- Soak sama ke chawal for 3 hours.
- Likewise, soak Sabudana/sago pearls for 3 hours.
- After the desired time, strain sama rice and sabudana through a strainer.
- Transfer them to a mixer..
- Assemble rest of the ingredients.
- Add spices, curd and water to make a not-so-thick batter. Be careful while adding water. Start slowly and add enough water to make a thick pouring batter- approximately 1/4 cup.
- Grind it to a fine paste.
- Transfer it to a bowl.
- Assemble toppings for uttapam. For me it was shredded lauki (bottle gourd), red chili flakes and dried mint leaves, crushed.
- Heat and grease a nonstick tawa/griddle.
- Spoon some batter on the hot tawa and..
- In a circular motion keep spreading it over the tawa.
- If you like your uttapam to be thick then give it just two swirl. Brush the corners of uttapam with oil. Cover and cook for 1 minute or until the base is cooked.
- Top with your favorite toppings.
- Using a flat spatula lift uttapam and flip it over.
- Gently press it down and cook it from the other side.
- Once the toppings are cooked flip it back up..
- Serve hot with Vrat ki green Chutney.