Jazz up your morning breakfast with these healthy and straightforward Savory Pumpkin pancakes. Crispy on the outside and incredibly moist in the middle – just the way I like it!! A gluten-free and vegan recipe.
Growing up, savory pancakes was one of my favorite go-to breakfast recipes. It still is a favorite in my house.
Traditionally, savory pancakes are referred to as besan ka puda or besan ka chilla meaning ‘Pancakes made of chickpea flour.’ And for an extra dose of nutrients, I like to add chock full of veggies to my pancakes and since it’s fall, how about some – Savory Pumpkin Pancakes.
Chickpea flours unique texture and nutty-tasting flavor add nutrition and fiber to this pumpkin pancakes.
A VERY VERSATILE RECIPE!
These fluffy and light pancakes are super easy to make, and the best part about this recipe is that you can play around with the ingredients.
I have tried all kind of combos. Some of them are enlisted below- –
- Swap pumpkin with either beetroot puree, spinach or butternut squash for a different flavor and color.
- Veggies like zucchini, bell pepper, spinach will add more flavor.
- Non-gluten-free option – try making this recipe with whole wheat flour or oats flour. Tastes fantastic and is healthy too!
- Boiled quinoa works wonders too.
NOW ONTO THE RECIPE!
I have kept the recipe very simple and have used all the veggies that I had on hand.
Let’s begin the recipe by chopping and shredding your veggies. To ensure that the vegetables cook through, make sure they are thinly shredded and chopped. Feel free to add or subtract spices as per taste.
Pumpkin puree adds a nice touch and flavor to these pancakes. Combine everything in a bowl and pour in soda water. Soda water will make the pancakes light and fluffy.
Batter consistency should be neither thick nor too thin. From here on the recipe is straightforward. Spoon batter on a hot greased griddle and cook until golden brown.
So what are we waiting for?
Hop on and satisfy your fall cravings with these savory pumpkin pancakes. Spoon the dressing of your choice on top, and enjoy a stack of fluffy pancakes for breakfast.
I encourage you to give this recipe a try and share your feedback! If you have questions related to this recipe, send me an email and I would be happy to answer them. We’d love to hear from you. 🙂
Craving for more, try these other breakfast options!
- Crustless Veggie Quiche
- Vegan Coconut Banana Pancakes
- Vegan Bread Rolls
- Instant Pot Cracked Wheat Porridge
- Vegan Banana Nut Bread
Thanks for reading.💕
Savory Pumpkin Pancakes
- 1 cup Chickpea flour
- 3/4 cup Pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup Chopped Spinach leaves
- 1/2 cup Thinly shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup Chopped Green Onions
- 2 tablespoons Chopped cilantro leaves
- 1/4 cup Club Soda or Soda water
- 3/4 teaspoon Crushed chili flakes (adjust to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon Carom Seeds (ajwain)
- Salt to taste
- 3 tablespoons Oil to cook pancakes
- Assemble all the ingredients.
- In a bowl combine all the ingredients.
- Pour in soda water.
- Mix until well blended. Add more soda water if the batter is thick.
- Heat and grease a griddle.
- For each pancake, spoon 2 tablespoon batter onto the hot griddle. Drizzle oil and allow the pancakes (puda) to cook.
- When the underside is done, flip carefully with a spatula and cook. Adjust heat if necessary.
- Cook on each side for 3-6 minutes or until golden brown in color.
- Repeat with remaining batter and serve immediately.
- Spoon chutney of your choice on top, and enjoy a stack of fluffy pancakes for breakfast.
Disclaimer: Nutritional information provided below is approximate. Variations may exist due to the ingredients/brands used. Please refer to a Registered Dietitian or Nutritionists if you have any health issues.
Calories: 118kcal | Carbohydrates: 11g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 6g | Sodium: 24mg | Potassium: 227mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 5210IU | Vitamin C: 3.1mg | Calcium: 22mg | Iron: 1.2mg