Pulao, pulav or Pilaf is a comfort food and a perfect dish for any occasion! Whether be a weekend or a busy week night, these one pot meals come in really handy. Just like pulao, Biryani is yet another delicacy that is a equally satisfying, and a flavorful one pot dish. Compared to biryani, Pulao is much simpler and a quick meal.
Biryani is a layered meal where most of the ingredients are cooked separately, then arranged in layers with rice, spices and later slow cooked until ready. Whereas, in pulao proteins, spices and veggies are cooked along with the rice. Fried onions, aromatic spices and chopped cilantro add layers of flavor to a pulao. Without much delay, let’s move on with our recipe today – Moti Pulao – Pearl Pulao.
RECIPE DETAIL – “Moti” means pearl and in this pulao pearl shaped balls of paneer-potato are tossed in with cooked rice to add extra flavor to the dish. First we begin by making pearl shaped balls. You can adjust the shape of the balls (pearl) as per liking. Cook these balls in an appe pan or feel free to deep fry them until golden brown and crispy.
Prepare rice as shown in the step by step tutorial below. Once the rice is ready, fluff it with a fork, add pearls (moti), spices, saffron and mix. Add fried onions, fried nuts and chopped cilantro. Cover and let it simmer for 2-3 minutes. A deliciously fragrant moti pulao is ready.
- This is a vegetarian pulao recipe but can be prepared with meat too.
- For vegan option – substitute paneer for tofu and milk with water.
- Feel free to add fried nuts to this dish.
- I have controlled the spice level by adding just the red chili powder, but if you like add chopped green chilies to the pulao.
- For extra crunch and flavor, toss in veggies of your choice.