In India, the concept of slow cooking has been around for a long, long time. Slow cooker imitates the age old Indian cooking method called Dum Pukht where foods like rice, meats and vegetables are placed in an earthen pot, seasoned with spices and the top is then sealed with wet dough so that no steam escapes and the food is slowly cooked in that steam. These one pot slow-cooked meals were full of flavor and super delicious. Tried and true, slow-cookers are a great help in Indian cooking.
Today I have cooked lobia/black eyed beans in my slow cooker. Super easy to cook and saves a lot of time. Once you get used to your slow cooker, you can cook any kind of meal in this. So let’s get ready and try some slow cooker recipes that will make your life easier.
RECIPE DETAIL – Best part, no soaking required. Wash and clean beans, add it to the slow cooker along with other ingredients, set the timer and before dinner – your yummy meal will be ready. Depending on the slow cooker model cooking time may vary. Adjust seasoning, consistency of the gravy, top it with some chopped cilantro leaves and enjoy it hot with warm tandoori rotis and Jeera rice. If you are looking for a cooktop lobia recipe – click here.
Are we friend's yet? Let's connect on -
Don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below!
Punjabi lobia masala in slow cooker or crockpot
FOR COOKING LOBIA/BLACK EYED PEAS
- 1 cup Lobia/Black eyed peas
- 1/2 -1 teaspoon Red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon Coriander powder (sukha dhaniya)
- 1/4 cup Onion - Tomato masala (for slow cooker masala recipe - scroll up)
- 1 teaspoon Garam Masala Powder
- 2 tablespoon Chopped cilantro leaves - to garnish
- 4 cups Water
- Salt to taste
TO MAKE FRESH ONION-TOMATO MASALA
- 2 small Onions, grounded to paste
- 1 teaspoon Garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon Ginger paste
- 2 medium Freshly grated tomatoes
- 2 tablespoon Oil
- Measure lobia.
- Clean and wad under cold water.
- Add lobia to slow cooker and add 4 cups of water.
- Add all the spices and..
- Onion tomato masala. Scroll up to follow the link on how to make slow cooker onion-tomato masala in slow cooker (in the main post).
- Mix it well.
- Set the timer to 6 hours on HIGH setting, cover the lid and let it cook undisturbed for 6 hours or until beans are fully cooked.
- All cooked and well blended lobia.
- Adjust seasonings and garnish with chopped cilantro leaves.
- Serve hot with warm rotis or jeera rice.