Aromatic & delicious Punjabi kadhi recipe in slow cooker is prepared with buttermilk and gram flour. A gluten-free, hearty and comforting meal when paired up with cumin rice!!
Have you ever tried cooking kadhi in a slow cooker? If not, than I would suggest try it for once and you will just love the flavors. Slow cookers aren’t only for soups and stews, you can cook yummy Indian meals in slow cooker too. Punjabi kadhi recipe in slow cooker is an ideal example of Indian slow cooking.
Since slow cooker uses indirect heat to cook, you don’t have to be around to stir or mix anything. Buttermilk combined with besan is allowed to simmer on a low flame for hours until satisfying flavors are achieved.
Kadhi will not boil over or get burnt, rather it will simmer behind the closed lid and the end result would be a yummy and delicious kadhi loaded with flavor.
Now on to the recipe!
Combine besan and buttermilk together, mix it with a hand blender and pour in the slow cooker. Before we close the lid, pour in the first tadka. This way fenugreek seeds (methi dana), garlic and ginger will release their flavor and aroma in the simmering kadhi, and make it more flavorful.
Set the timer on HIGH setting for 5 hours. Depending on the slow cooker model cooking time may vary. Prepare pakodas the way you like it – fried or appe pan cooked.
After the cooking time, adjust the consistency of kadhi accordingly. To adjust the consistency, I have added an extra 1 cup of water. Add pakodas, stir in the final tadka, adjust seasonings and your kadhi is all ready. Enjoy it with warm rotis or jeera rice. Looking for regular kadhi recipe cooked over flame – click here.
Also try –
- Slow cooker ghee
- Slow cooker Langar wali dal
- Slow cooker Punjabi Lobia
- Slow cooker Palak Paneer
- Slow cooker Punjabi Kadhi
- Slow cooker Onion-tomato masala
- Slow cooker cooked matar for matra ki chaat
- Slow cooker Minestrone soup
Are we friend's yet? For new updates and recipes, follow @ruchiskitchen on -
For new updates and recipes, follow @ruchiskitchen on -
Don’t forget to ⭐ rate the recipe and leave me a comment below 👇
Punjabi kadhi recipe in slow cooker or crockpot
- 1/2 cup Besan (Chickpea flour)
- 3 cup Buttermilk or Curd
- 3.5 cup Water
- 1 teaspoon Haldi (Turmeric powder)
- Salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon Oil
- A pinch of Hing/ Asafoetida
- 1.5 teaspoon Methi dana (Fenugreek seeds)
- 1 teaspoon Garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon Ginger paste
FOR PAKODAS - MAKES 12-15 PAKODAS
- 1 cup Besan (Chickpea flour)
- 1 cup Chopped Spinach leaves
- 1 medium Sliced Onions
- 1/2 teaspoon Red chili powder
- 2 tablespoon Kastoori methi/ dried fenugreek leaves
- Salt to taste
- 2 tablespoon Oil
- Assemble all the ingredients for kadhi.
- Combine buttermilk and besan in a bowl.
- Add salt and turmeric and..
- Using a hand blender or mixer blend the mixture.
- Pour this besan mixture in a slow cooker.
MAKING FIRST TEMPERING/TADKA
- Assemble ingredients for first tempering.
- Heat oil/ghee in a pan, add all the ingredients one by one. When ginger-garlic starts to change color take it off the flame and..
- Pour it over the kadhi.
- Close the lid and let it cook undisturbed for 4 hours on HIGH setting.
- Meanwhile let's prepare the pakodas.
- Clean, wash and chop spinach leaves.
- Add all the ingredients listed under pakoas in a bowl.
- Add spices besan and pour enough water to make a thick batter.
- Grease an appe pan.
- Add batter to each mould.
- Cover and cook.
- Keep turning occasionally and cook until pakodas are crispy and brown in color.
- Feel free to fry pakodas for your kadhi. Set it aside.
MAKING FINAL TADKA/TEMPERING
- After 4 hours, kadhi is all cooked and thick. To adjust the consistency, I have added an extra 1 cup of water to my kadhi.
- Add pakodas...
- Sprinkle garam masala and mix. Cover the lid and let it simmer for another 1 hour on HIGH setting.
- Assemble ingredients for second tadka.
- Heat oil/ghee in a pan. Add whole red chilies and cumin seeds. As they start to sputter, add chopped onions and cook until onions are translucent. Add red chili powder or degi mirch and take it off the flame.
- Pour the tadka over the kadhi..
- Mix it well.
- Sizzling hot kadhi is ready for dinner.
- Enjoy it with jeera rice or hot rotis.