The name itself describes the dish – Pancha + mel meaning fusion of five lentils. Panchamel dal also referred to as Panchkuti dal is a signature dish of Rajasthan. Have visited Rajasthan so many times and still in awe of its rich culture and heritage. The palaces, folk dances, royal ambiance of heritage properties, rich and mouth watering food – all in all an awe-mazing experience. If allowed to speak I can talk all day about Rajasthan ♥♥.
RECIPE DETAIL – One of my favorite dals because of so much goodness combined in one bowl. It’s a fusion of five lentils – chana dal , green split moong dal, yellow moong dal, red masoor dal and white urad dal – cooked all together. Procedure to cook this dal is divided into three parts. First – wash and boil lentils (dal).
Second step is all about adding tomatoes and ginger to the cooked dal. If you wish to add onion and garlic to this dal then do it now. Add onions first then garlic and ginger followed by tomatoes – rest of the recipe remains the same. At this stage dal is almost cooked and mixed together.
Final step is the additional tadka or tempering that gives a nice aroma and flavor to this dal . Heat ghee and add all the spices except kasoori methi, save it for the last. When tadka starts to sizzle, crush kasoori methi and add it to the tadka. It emits a wonderful aroma and adds a whole new flavor.
Are we friend's yet? For new updates and recipes, follow @ruchiskitchen on -
For new updates and recipes, follow @ruchiskitchen on -
Don’t forget to ⭐ rate the recipe and leave me a comment below 👇
INGREDIENTS FOR DAL
- 1/4 cup Boiled chana dal OR Bengal Gram lentils
- 1/4 cup Yellow Moong Dal
- 1/4 cup Red Masoor dal
- 1/4 cup White Urad dal
- 1/4 cup Green split Moong dal
- 1 teaspoon Haldi (Turmeric powder)
- Salt to taste
- Assemble all the lentils.
- Clean and wash dal under tap water.
- Add all the lentils to a pressure cooker, add salt and haldi.
- Cover and pressure cook for 3-4 whistles or until lentils are soft and tender.
- All cooked dal.
- Let's begin with our first tadka. Assemble all the ingredients.
- In a pan heat ghee and add ginger.
- Saute for few seconds, then add tomato along with above mentioned spices.
- Add some water, cover and cook until tomatoes are soft.
- They will look like this.
- Mix in the cooked lentil..
- Add sufficient water to achieve the correct consistency.
- Dal all cooked and ready. Adjust seasoning.
- For the smoky flavor follow the steps below. On a medium low flame heat charcoal. When it catches fire lower the flame and keep heating...
- In 10 minutes it will be red hot...
- Using a tong, carefully lift the hot charcoal...
- And drop it in a stainless steel bowl or katori..
- Place this bowl on the cooked dal...
- Drizzle some ghee on top...
- It will start to sizzle...
- Place lid on top...
- And trap the smoke, let the dal soak in the smoky flavor for couple of minutes.
- Carefully remove katori from dal and set it aside. When charcoal is completely cooled, discard it.
- Assemble ingredients for the final tadka.
- In a pan heat ghee, add all the spices. As they start to crackle, crush kasoori methi and add at last. Take it off the flame and..
- Pour it on the hot dal.
- Panchamal dal is ready, pair it with jeera rice and enjoy!!