Naan Indian Flatbread recipe made with ingredients you likely have in your pantry. No skill is required to make this naan recipe – so simple and easy- to-follow step by step recipe. Well the secret to soft and fluffy naan is simple chemistry . A bread needs a base and a acid to make it rise and since baking soda is a base and has no acid – I have added curd to my recipe. You can also add vinegar or lime juice instead of curd. Now baking soda + curd needs a liquid to create that chemical reaction and I have used CLUB SODA to add that carbonation and extra bubbles to my dough.
On the other hand one can substitute BAKING POWDER instead of baking soda in this recipe as baking powder has both the acid and base already mixed in it and all we need is a liquid to give it a chemical reaction- add club soda. Try these fluffy naans made -from-scratch and you will be amazed at the results. Different types are naan are shown below- Plain naan, kalonji naan and garlic naan.
Are we friend's yet? For new updates and recipes, follow @ruchiskitchen on -
For new updates and recipes, follow @ruchiskitchen on -
Don’t forget to ⭐ rate the recipe and leave me a comment below.
Naan - Indian flatbread
- 2 cup Maida
- 3 tablespoon Beaten Curd (yogurt)
- 2 teaspoon Baking soda
- 2 tablespoon Oil
- 1/4-1/2 cup Club Soda or Soda water
- Salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 500 degree F (260 degree C) and move the oven rack to the top second shelf. Assemble all the ingredients maida, soda water, baking soda, curd, salt and oil.
- Knead the dough by adding the ingredients one by one.
- Once the dough is formed allow it to sit for 30 minutes. It will rise up. Divide the dough in equal parts and shape them into balls.
- Take a dough ball, roll it in dry flour and using a rolling pin start rolling the dough out.
- If making a plain naan just brush it with butter and place it on the oven rack and broil it.
- If making a Kalonji naan – First apply butter on the naan and then sprinkle kalonji seeds and chopped cilantro on top of it and press them down. Place it on the oven rack and broil it. Sprinkle generously as some of the kalonji seeds will be lost while flipping them in the oven.
- FOR GARLIC NAAN- Mix 1 teaspoon of grated garlic in 3 teaspoon of melted butter and add salt to it. Mix it well. To make garlic naan – brush this mixture on top of the naan and place it on the oven rack and broil it.
- Depending on the oven heat Naan will be ready in 6-7 minutes but for some it may take longer. Keep a close eye and once naan starts to brown up on the top- that’s a message that it will be ready in less than a minute.
- Flip them over and cook them for another minute and they are ready. Apply some butter on them and enjoy with meal.
- Different types of Naan - Garlic naan, Kalonji naan and Plain naan.