Moong dal ka shorba is a hearty one-pot soup made with yellow split lentils. A gluten-free, vegan and nutritious soup perfect for the chilly weather.
Winter weather calls for a bowl of hot-piping soup. And nothing warms you up like a homemade Moong dal ka shorba. This thick and creamy lentil-based soup infused with robust flavors of bottle gourd, cumin, and lemon juice will surely warm you up on cold nights.
Moong dal ka shorba is a flavorful mix of yellow lentils, vegetables, and spices. To keep it simple I have added bottle gourd to my soup, but feel free to experiment and add the veggies of your choice.
This soup is a great way to make your fussy eaters eats their veggies. Simply hide the veggies in the soup and they will slurp their soup bowls without a fuss. 😉
There are a lot of good reasons to make this soup. It’s –
- and easily customizable.
In short, a soul-satisfying dinner for the whole family that comes together in just 30 minutes. Perfect comfort food for busy weeknights!
Now onto the recipe!
Start off by cooking the lentils and chopped veggies together. Once cooked, allow it cool. Use an immersion blender to blend the lentils until smooth. Add water for desired consistency.
For hands-free cooking, Instant pot can be used to pressure cook lentils and vegetables. Cook for 10 minutes under normal pressure.
Temper the soup with ghee and cumin seeds. Cumin seeds tempering elevates the overall flavor of the soup. For a smooth and creamy texture, finish the soup with a drizzle of cashew cream and cilantro leaves.
Moong dal ka shorba makes an excellent side but wait, pair it with rice or bread for a complete meal.
Try this refreshing warm and comforting soup and it’s sure going to tickle your taste buds. If you happen to make this soup, please comment below and leave your feedback. You can also find me on social media. Be sure to tag @ruchiskitchen (one word) or #ruchiskitchen. I would love to see your creation!
CAN’T MAKE IT NOW, PIN IT FOR LATER ON YOUR BOARD.
ALSO FOLLOW ME ON:
CAN’T MAKE IT NOW, PIN IT FOR LATER?
Did you make this recipe?
Tag @Ruchiskitchen on
Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest | Twitter
With your pictures, I would love to see your yummy creations!
Moong dal ka shorba
- 3/4 cup Yellow Moong Dal
- 1/4 cup Chopped bottle gourd (lauki)
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 small piece of Ginger
- 1 teaspoon Haldi (Turmeric powder)
- Salt to taste
- 1.5 cup Water
- 1 small Chopped green Chillies (optional)
- 1-2 tablespoon Lemon Juice
- 1 tablespoon Crushed red chili flakes or Red chili powder (adjust according to taste)
- 1 tablespoon Coarsely crushed black peppercorns
- 1/2 teaspoon Cumin seeds (Jeera)
- 2 teaspoon Ghee/butter
- 2 tablespoon Chopped cilantro leaves - to garnish
- 1 tablespoon Roasted cumin seeds (crush and sprinkle on top)
- 1/2-1 cup Water - to dilute the soup
- Let's begin by assembling ingredients for dal.
- Chopped Bottle gourd. Feel free to add veggies of your choice - carrots, zucchini, broccoli, and asparagus.
- Clean and wash dal.
- In a pressure cooker add all the ingredients listed under "FOR DAL" and pressure cook for 3-4 whistles (approximately 10-15 minutes in a closed cooker without whistles).
- Using a hand blender, puree the dal.
- Adjust the consistency of the dal by adding extra water. Set it aside.
- Assemble rest of the ingredients.
- Add black peppercorns powder, red chili flakes and pour in lemon juice. Mix it well.
- In a pan heat ghee/butter and add cumin seeds. As it starts to crackle take it off the flame.
- Pour this tempering over hot dal puree.
- Mix and adjust seasonings as per taste and allow it to simmer for 3-4 minutes on low flame, stirring continuously.
- Feel free to add cream on top, sprinkle cilantro leaves and some crushed roasted cumin seeds.
- Serve hot with the choice of bread.