What is a Mock Pizza – Pizza with some unusual topping is a mock pizza. In this recipe I have used a surprise base sauce – any guesses?? Bharta..you heard me right. Bread topped with leftover mashed eggplant vegetable plus cheese is baked until cheese melts. Mashed Eggplant vegetable also referred to as Bharta is the least liked vegetable among kids. Kids love cheese and bread these days whether be pizza, cheese bread-sticks or cheese sandwiches. To make them eat a vegetable is a task.
I had some leftover bharta and no one was interested in finishing it off. Came up with this quick appetizer – Mashed Eggplant topped bread a.k.a. Bharta topped bread. Just like pizza, bharta acts like a pizza sauce, topped with some chopped onions, lots of cheese and baked to perfection. Wanted to add some green bell peppers/capsicum but I was skeptical that to much veggies may complicate the flavor and kids may not like it, so kept it simple. Have leftover bharta on hand, than this appetizer will be ready in 30 minutes.
Hungry kids walk in the house and I just placed this appetizer in front of them. All I heard was, “Pizza!!” Yum ..Thanks Mom, You are the best!” After taking their first bite they inquired what sauce is this, something taste different, but it’s good. To my surprise it was ALL GONE WITHOUT ANY COMPLAINS 🙂 MISSION ACCOMPLISHED.
If you have picky eaters like I do; then do give this recipe a try and believe me it will be plate licked in minutes just like Baked Zucchini fries. MOM RULES… Right 😉
CAN’T MAKE IT NOW, PIN IT FOR LATER?
Did you make this recipe?
Tag @Ruchiskitchen on
Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest | Twitter
With your pictures, I would love to see your yummy creations!
- 1 cup Leftover Bharta
- 2 tablespoon Chopped Onions
- 1 cup Low fat Shredded Mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoon Chopped Capsicum (optional)
- 1 big loaf of Bruschetta bread (or 10 slices of bread)
- Assemble all the ingredients.
- Toast bread slices till they are crisp. Using a cutter cut them into circles. Preheat the oven at 350 degree F.
- Spread a layer of bharta on top of it, sprinkle some onions, veggies and cheese.
- This step is shown with Bruschetta bread.
- Spread a layer of bharta on top of it, sprinkle some onions and veggies.
- Sprinkle lots of low fat cheese.
- Bake for 10- 15 minutes.
- Top it up with some green onions and serve hot.