Treat your family tonight with these juicy and tender Kalmi kebab recipe. Boneless chicken pieces marinated in aromatic and flavorful Indian spices and grilled to perfection. Bone-in chicken or mutton pieces can also be used for this recipe – cooking time will vary if using mutton. From my kitchen to yours this tasty and succulent delicacy requires 4 hours of marination and 20-25 minutes of baking but longer the marination the more juicer and tender these kebabs will turn out to be. PANEER LOVERS – SUBSTITUTE CHICKEN WITH PANEER and you will have KALMI PANEER KABAB RECIPE 🙂
To save wooden skewers from burning, soak them in cold water for 2-3 hours. This way they will not ignite or burn out during grilling. Before adding egg to the marinade mixture check your seasonings and adjust the salt and spice content. Besan(gram flour) is roasted and added to the marination- this way it adds depth of flavor to these kebabs.
This recipe calls for potli masala which is a blend of fragrant spices and is mainly used in Hyderabadi cuisine. It is a blend of 13 spices – bay leaf, Whole coriander seeds, dried rose petals, sandalwood powder, whole black cardamom, cinnamon, star anise, dried fenugreek leaves, dried vetiver roots (khas ki jad), Stone flower(kalpaasi or dagad phool also known as pathar ke phool), betel flower roots (Paan ki jad), Spiked Ginger Lily (Kapoor Kachri) and Allspice (kabab chini). To make homemade POTLI MASALA – Combine 4 tablespoon of coriander seeds with 2 tablespoons of each of the above mentioned spices and ground to paste- homemade POTLI MASALA ready.
No potli masala on hand substitute it with any chicken tikka masala. For grilling chicken in a kadhai follow the recipe here.
Kalmi Kabab recipe
- 6 thin slices of Chicken
- 1/2 teaspoon Ginger paste
- 1/2 teaspoon Garlic paste
- 2 tablespoon Lemon Juice
- 2 tablespoon Cashew Paste
- 1/2 cup Curd (thick Market curd/yogurt)
- 3 tablespoon Cream
- 1/2 teaspoon Red chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Haldi (Turmeric powder)
- 3 tablespoon Roasted Besan
- 1 no Egg
- 1/4 teaspoon Potli Masala
- Salt to taste
- Let's begin with soaking wooden skewers in cold water for 2-3 hours.
- MASALA 1- Ground potli masala to a fine powdered form. This masala is very aromatic and flavorful but it can be accommodated with any chicken tikka masala.
- Take 1/4 teaspoon of potli masala and store the rest in an airtight container.
- Dry roast besan in a kadhai till it turns light brown in color.
- MASALA 2 - Assemble: all the dry ingredients mentioned above.
- In a bowl add all of them one by one and mix. Set it aside.
- Assemble: all of the above mentioned ingredients.
- PREPARE MARINADE - In a large bowl start adding all of them one by one - saving besan for the last.
- Keep adding and whisking.
- Once you have added all the dry spices - adjust the salt. Do it before adding egg to this marinade.
- Add egg and whisk it well. Stir in besan and whisk and make sure no lumps are formed.
- Marinade will be thick almost like a batter.
- Clean and wash chicken pieces.
- Add them to the marinade and mix it well.
- Cover and let it sit in the refrigerator for 4 hours or if you prefer leave it overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degree F. Oil a grill and place a dripping tray underneath it.
- Remove the skewers from the water. Holding the marinated chicken in one hand insert skewers.
- If you have small pieces, place two of them on each skewers.
- Arrange them on the baking grill.
- While inserting skewers; some of the marinade had fallen back into the bowl so let's baste it again with leftover marinade .
- Place them in the preheated oven and bake for 20-25 minutes. Oven temperatures vary so you may need to place the chicken for longer time.
- Turn after 8 minutes or when the top part is brown and again baste with marinade.
- Grill till chicken is fully cooked and evenly brown. Finally baste with butter and grill for 2 minutes.
- Chicken is all done and ready.
- Sprinkle chaat masala and enjoy it with cilantro curd chutney.