Whether be kebabs or biryanis Mughlai cuisine takes a special place in my house. Today I bring you one of the famous Mughlai Kebab – Kakori Kebab recipe. Kakori is a term used to describe the most softest kebabs in the world. In fact kakori kabab have a tagline attached to them “melt in your mouth kebabs”, meaning they are so soft and succulent that they will just melt away in your mouth. On the other hand, kebab is referred to a meat that is cooked over or next to flames. There is an interesting story associated to these soft and juicy kebabs.
It is believed that the origin of these kebabs is associated with a toothless king or Nawab of Kakori (a small town in Lucknow district). He was a meat lover but because of his old age and no teeth in his mouth, he couldn’t eat hard meat. So he ordered his royal chefs to come up with a soft and tender meat dish which he can enjoy in that state. After a lot of experiments Kakori kebab came into existence. Well special thanks to those chefs who created such a delicious kebab recipe which we enjoy today. 🙂
Give these yummy kebabs a try and don’t let the long list of ingredients daunt you; it’s pretty quick and easy. A very adaptive recipe, play around with spices and add or subtract as per one’s preference. I have used papaya paste to tenderize meat for kebab and it is the key ingredient in making these kebabs. Chicken can be substituted with mutton but cooking time will vary.
Try out these juicy and tender kebab recipe where minced chicken combined with aromatic spices creates a lip-smacking and delicious kebabs. Enjoy these kebabs with lemon wedges and green chutney of your choice.
Kakori Kebab recipe
GROUND SPICE - INGREDIENTS
- 2-3 pieces of Green Cardamom (Hari eliachi)
- 2-3 pieces of Black Peppercorns (Sabut Kali mirch)
- 4-5 pieces of Cloves (Laung)
- 2 blades of Mace (Javitri)
- 10-15 pieces of Black peppercons
- 2 teaspoon Poppy seeds (Khus Khus)
- 1/2 teaspoon Shahi Jeera (caraway seeds)
- 500 gms Minced Chicken or 1 LB
- 1/2 cup Desiccated unsweetend Cococut
- 1/2 cup Powdered Khoya/Mawa
- 1/4 cup Raw Papaya Paste
- 2 tablespoon Fresh cream
- 1 teaspoon Cashew Paste
- 1 teaspoon Crushed ginger
- 1 teaspoon Rose water
- 1 tablespoon Onion paste
- 1/4- 1/2 teaspoon Nutmeg powder (Jaiphel)
- 1/2 teaspoon Red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon Garlic powder
- 1/2 - 3/4 teaspoon Garam Masala Powder (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon White pepper powder
- Few strands of Saffron
- Salt to taste
- 2 teaspoon Oil to shape kebabs
- 1-2 tablespoon Oil to cook Kebabs
- Let's begin with our spice preparation.
- Assemble all the spices and add them to a grinder..
- Grind them to a powdered form.
- Strain them through a strainer and discard the skins.
- Set it aside.
- Assemble all the ingredients for kebab. Wet some wooden skewers in water for 30 minutes.
- Assemble all the spices..
- Wash and clean chicken before mincing. Transfer the minced chicken to a bowl.
- Add papaya paste, salt and grounded spices. Mix it well.
- Add onion paste, ginger, nutmeg, garlic powder..
- Red chili powder, white pepper,mawa, desiccated coconut..
- Add cream, rose water, cashew paste, saffron and garam masala powder.
- Mix till well blended. Take some mixture in your hands...
- And start shaping them around the wet wooden skewers.
- Apply some oil to your hands and give them a smooth finish.
- All the kebabs are ready and shaped up.
- There are two ways to grill the kebab. First one would be to heat some charcoal on fire..
- Grill kebabs over them till brown and thoroughly cooked.
- Second way wold be to heat oil in a kadhai and add kebabs to it.
- Cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or until fully cooked and brown.
- If you choose to give kebab some smoky taste...
- Then place some hot charcoal in the hot kadhai..
- Pour 1 teaspoon ghee on top of hot charcoal...
- It will start to get smoky. Keep your kitchen exhaust ready..
- Cover for 2-3 minutes and let the kebabs soak in all the smoky flavor.
- Remove and serve hot .
- Garnished with lemon wedges and onion rings and serve along with green chutney on the side.
Disclaimer: Nutritional information provided below is approximate. Variations may exist due to the ingredients/brands used. Please refer to a Registered Dietitian or Nutritionists if you have any health issues.