Today’s dish is one of my favorites, Kadai Paneer – a most popular dish often ordered at a restaurant. It’s a flavorful dish where paneer cubes are sauteed with vibrantly fresh bell peppers and seasoned with aromatic spices. A flavor packed dish where Paneer, capsicum & spices all comes together and create a perfect combination of veggies and spices where -all suited for one another! Tomato puree can be substituted with 1 small sized chopped tomato. I prefer to use homemade tomato puree because it blends very well with spices giving paneer a rich taste. In this recipe I have used both red and green capsicum but if you have just green capsicum on hand that’s fine. It will add the same flavor and will smell wonderful while it is cooking. This dish calls for coarsely pounded spices – whole coriander seeds and whole red chilies are coarsely pounded in mortar and pestle – which adds the right amount of heat and flavor to this dish. To give this dish that restaurant touch – cream is added but as per your preference you may pass on it. A nice blend of flavors that tastes earthy (because of cumin and coriander powder) and spicy all at the same time. So let’s begin with this Restaurant style Kadai Paneer recipe. Enjoy this dish with Dal Tadka and Homemade kulchas.
Kadai Paneer Recipe
- 2 cups Homemade Cubed Paneer (Appx. 150 Grams)
- 1.5 cup Cubed Capsicum (1 small Red and 1 small Green Capsicum)
- 1.5 cup Cubed Onions
- 1 teaspoon Garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon Ginger paste
- 2 tablespoon Homemade tomato puree (1 small tomato chopped)
- 1 tablespoon Cream (optional)
- 3-4 nos. Whole red Chilies
- 1/2- 3/4 teaspoon Coarsely pounded coriander seeds (adjust according to taste)
- 1/2- 3/4 teaspoon Red Chili Flakes (adjust according to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon Haldi
- 1/2 teaspoon Cumin seeds
- 1.5 - 2 tablespoon Kastoori Methi
- Salt to taste
- 2-3 tablespoon Oil
- 1 tablespoon Chopped cilantro leaves - to garnish
- Assemble all the ingredients - cubed onions, tomato puree and cubed paneer.
- Wash and cut capsicum in cubes.
- Secret ingredient in this recipe - Kastoori Methi.
- Assemble all the spices. Using a mortar and pestle coarsely pound the whole coriander seeds.
- Heat oil in a kadai, add whole chilies, cumin seeds and cubed capsicum.
- Stir in salt and mix it well. On a medium flame saute capsicum for 2 minutes. Add cubed onions, ginger and garlic paste and saute it for another 2 minutes.
- Add tomato puree and mix. Stir in all of the remaining spices one by one.
- Add 2 tablespoon cream to the veggies and give it a good stir.
- Add paneer to veggies and mix them gently.
- Kadai Paneer is ready.
- Garnish with thinly sliced ginger and chopped cilantro leaves.
- Serve it hot with roti.
Disclaimer: Nutritional information provided below is approximate. Variations may exist due to the ingredients/brands used. Please refer to a Registered Dietitian or Nutritionists if you have any health issues.