Light and fluffy basmati rice packed with the flavors of cumin seeds is the perfect side dish for any dinner. Comes together in less than 30 minutes and is dairy-free, gluten-free, nut-free and vegan!! Jeera rice recipe
My dinner tonight calls for a flavorful yet straightforward Jeera rice recipe that will be paired up with dal tadka – a simple and yum combo. Jeera rice is a versatile recipe that goes along with any Indian curry whether be mutter paneer, Paneer tikka masala, kofta curry, rajma curry and many more. Jeera Rice Recipe
A famous recipe that is a must-have and every Indian restaurant serves jeera rice as a complimentary dish along with other dishes.
WONDERING WHAT IS JEERA?
Jeera/Zeera means Cumin seeds and has a nutty and warm flavor. In India, it’s a common spice used in day-to-day cooking to flavor lentils and curries. Jeera Rice Recipe
Cumin has many health benefits and is an excellent source of iron, manganese, magnesium, calcium, phosphorus, and vitamin B1. It helps in
- treating digestive problems
- boosts immunity Jeera Rice Recipe
- protect skin against infections and
- helps in fighting common colds.
Additionally, cumin seeds are rich in fiber and it suppresses your appetite and prevents you from cravings too.
NOW ONTO THE RECIPE!
A pretty straightforward recipe that requires minimal ingredients to prepare and adds flavor to any boring meal. Jeera Rice Recipe
To begin with, wash Indian basmati rice under cold water. Heat oil/ghee in a pan, add cumin seeds and as they start to crackle add water, rice, and cook.
Cumin seeds will leave a pleasant aroma, and the result would be flavorful and yummy rice.
ON A PERSONAL NOTE!
I like to (“dum”) steam cook my rice. When rice is half cooked – (meaning they still a bite left), cover the pan with a cloth.
Place the lid on top and lower the flame to the LOWEST SETTING. This way the steam is trapped and rice get cooked in that steam.
There are two ways to prepare jeera rice recipe –
- the first method is shown below
- Another idea would be to cook starch free basmati rice and later add a tempering of ghee and cumin seeds on top.
Either way, they will taste the same and add flavor to your meal.
Do give this simple Jeera Rice Recipe a try and if you happen to make it, then please comment below and leave your feedback. You can also find me on social media. Be sure to tag @ruchiskitchen (one word) or #ruchiskitchen. I would love to see your creation!
CAN’T MAKE IT NOW, PIN IT FOR LATER ON YOUR BOARD.
ALSO FOLLOW ME ON:
Are we friend's yet? For new updates and recipes, follow @ruchiskitchen on -
For new updates and recipes, follow @ruchiskitchen on -
Don’t forget to ⭐ rate the recipe and leave me a comment below.
Jeera Rice Recipe
- Assemble all the ingredients..
- And spices..
- Clean and wash rice thoroughly until the water runs clear. Set it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Add cumin seeds.
- As the cumin seeds starts to crackle.
- Pour in water..
- Add salt and cloves.
- Bring it to a boil.
- Add washed rice..
- Mix it well.
- Bring it to a boil.
- Boil till half of the water has evaporated and rice is clearly visible.
- Cover the pan and lower the heat. I like to "dum" steam cook my rice so I apply a cloth in between rice and the pan cover.
- Allow it to steam cook for 3-4 minutes on low flame. Take it off the flame and let it sit covered and undisturbed for 5-6 minutes.
- Fluffy jeera rice is ready. Enjoy it with your favorite dal or curry.