Growing up, I have always relished my mom made desserts. She had that magic touch which could convert a simple pudding into a rich and heavenly delight at ease. Among all the sweets that my mom made, this one is my all time favorite Diwali sweet. Rabdi or rabri is a rich and heavenly Indian dessert prepared by boiling full fat milk until its is reduced to 1/4 its quantity. No doubt its a long and laborious process to make rabri, but it is truly indulgent and a D- licious festive sweet.
The secret to a rich and creamy rabri lies in slowly reduction of milk over the period of time, evaporating all its water content and the stuff that is left behind is a thick and creamy mixture.
RECIPE DETAIL – Over the years I’ve adapted my mom’s technique and came up with my very own version. My way of making this dessert is quick n easy and saves you a lot of time. I have used half and half milk for my recipe but feel free to substitute it with full cream milk. Fresh homemade paneer was used for my recipe, but store bought paneer will work just fine. Place paneer in a bowl of warm water for 10-15 minutes, drain and crumble paneer with your fingers.
Heat milk in a thick bottomed pan until it starts to bubble. Maintain a medium low heat and keep stirring continuously. As the milk starts to boil, lower the heat, add sugar followed by crumbled/grated paneer and khoya /mawa. Keep stirring and let it simmer for 10 – 15 minutes. The mixture will start to thicken, take it off the flame, add cardamom powder, nuts and keep it refrigerated until ready to serve. If Rabdi is too thick, add more milk and adjust its consistency. Just before serving garnish with some more nuts and enjoy with hot Gulab jamuns.
No doubt the slow cooking process of milk adds a subtle nutty flavor which makes this dish so flavorful and heavenly but below stated method is equally tasty and incredibly delicious. So those who want to treat their loved ones with an exceptional desserts this Diwali, try out Instant Rabri or Rabdi recipe.
!! HAPPY DIWALI TO EVERYONE !!
Are we friend's yet? For new updates and recipes, follow @ruchiskitchen on -
For new updates and recipes, follow @ruchiskitchen on -
Don’t forget to ⭐ rate the recipe and leave me a comment below 👇
Instant Rabri or Rabdi
- 2 cups Half and half or full cream milk
- 1.5 cup Finely crumbled Paneer
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoon Sugar
- 3/4 - 1 cup Crumbled Khoya/Mawa
- 1 teaspoon Rose essence or Kewra essence
- 1/4 cup Chopped Nut and Raisins
- 1/8 teaspoon Saffron strands
- Measure milk.
- Assemble rest of the ingredients.
- Heat milk in a thick bottomed pan until it starts to bubble.
- Maintain a medium low heat and keep stirring continuously.
- As the milk starts to boil, lower the heat and add sugar followed by...
- Crumbled/grated paneer and...
- Add Mawa/khoya and mix. Keep stirring continuously and let it simmer for 10 - 15 minutes on low flame.
- The mixture will become thick.
- Adjust sugar and add rose essence.
- Mix in cardamom powder..
- Chopped pistas...
- Chopped almonds and raisins.. Mix and rabri is ready.
- Transfer it to a serving bowl and place it in the refrigerator until chilled.
- Garnish with some extra mixed nuts and enjoy!!