Chilly nights call for comfort food, and what could be better than a bowl of wholesome soup that is bursting with warm flavors. Made with simple ingredients, this Instant Pot roasted red bell pepper and lentil soup can be pulled off in no time and will be your new family favorite.
Serve it alongside a beautifully toasted focaccia bread, and honestly, it’s the best kind of comfort food.
Hello friends, how’s the weather at your place? Maybe it’s not the time for soups yet, but on my end, the temperatures have started to drop.
There is a sudden nip in the air, and that calls for a hot bowl of soup.
And speaking of soups, this soul-refreshing Instant Pot roasted red bell pepper and lentil soup is a hearty soup that will warm you from the inside out.
Additionally, the red bell pepper and lentils beautifully capture the color of autumn within a bowl.
What’s so good about Instant Pot roasted red bell pepper and lentil soup?
Besides the fall flavors, this soup is:
- Super easy to make
- Packed with flavor
- Filling and nutritious
- Made entirely in one-pot
- Can be made in advance, and
- Not to mention, it freezes beautifully for effortless future meals!
So grab your apron, folks; we are going to make a remarkably delicious and comforting soup today that’s sure to satisfy your heart and soul!
Ingredients for Instant Pot Roasted Red Bell Pepper and Lentil Soup
This soup’s bright color is balanced by the bold flavor and nutrition of the following ingredients –
» Red Bell pepper – Roasted peppers add a depth of flavor, color, and texture to this soup. Roasting intensifies their natural sweetness and adds a smoky touch. In addition to that, red bell pepper is an excellent source of Vitamins and beta-carotene.
» Red Lentils – The earthy and nutty flavor of lentils complements the sweet taste of peppers. Plus, they are extremely nutritious, protein-rich, and high in fiber.
» Onion + garlic – a must-have for soups.
» Vegetable stock – homemade is the best. You can store-bought too. I always prefer to use low sodium veg stock to control the salt in the soup.
» Sriracha sauce – to add some heat to this Instant Pot roasted red bell pepper and lentil soup. You can add chopped green chilies instead.
» Olive oil– to cook our soup. You can use vegetable oil or avocado oil too.
» Spices – of course! How can we miss them? Spices and seasonings such as bay leaves, crushed red chili flakes, dried parsley leaves, cumin powder, and salt are the essentials and heart of a soup. These warm spices make the soup wholesome and comforting.
» Tomatoes – The acidity of tomatoes is also epitomized with the sweetness of red bell peppers and lentils. Furthermore, they are a great source of the antioxidant lycopene, and when paired with beta-carotene-rich red bell peppers – they are like a nutritional match made in heaven.
Healthy + hearty = deliciousness.
Collectively, because of its nutritional content, this soup makes a frequent rotation on our dinner table.
How to make Instant Pot Roasted Red Bell Pepper And Lentil Soup?
Step 1- Prep the roasted bell peppers – Begin the recipe by roasting the deseeded red bell peppers either in the oven or on a gas flame. Cook or broil until they are slightly charred and wrinkly. Chop and set aside.
Step 2- Cook the Soup – Meanwhile, let’s prep up the base of the soup. Turn the Instant Pot on in ‘SAUTE MODE.’ Add olive oil. When it gets hot, add onions and garlic. Cook the onions until soft, for about 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Step 3- Add the roasted bell peppers – Add roasted bell peppers, chopped tomatoes, red lentils, and spices to the Instant Pot and stir. Pour in vegetable stock, mix and seal the Instant Pot with its lid. Pressure cook/Manual cook for 8 minutes.
Step 4- adjust the seasonings – Once the cooking time has elapsed, your Instant Pot will beep, allow the pressure to dissipate naturally on its own (NPR). When the pin drops, carefully open the Instant Pot and blend the cooked soup with a blender.
Do the taste test and adjust the spices accordingly. If you find that the Instant Pot roasted bell pepper and lentil soup is too thick, add more water until you get the desired consistency.
Step 5- Garnish and serve- Ladle the soup into bowls. Garnish with fresh parsley leaves and serve hot.
Expert tips and variations!
» Red lentils do not require soaking time before cooking. Simply rinse them under tap water, drain them, and add them to the Instant Pot.
» Roasting the red peppers add an amazingly sweet and smoky flavor to this lentil soup. So, if you prefer to roast the peppers, place them under the broiler for 4-5 minutes until they become charred. The sweetness of the roasted bell peppers blends beautifully with the mild taste of the lentils.
» For extra nutrition and flavor, add a stalk of celery to Instant Pot roasted red bell pepper and lentil soup.
» Feel free to toss in a handful of other vegetables such as spinach leaves, zucchini, asparagus, carrots, or broccoli.
» Red peppers lend a nice red tone to our soup. You can most certainly use yellow or orange bell peppers, but the soup will turn out mostly yellow or orange, depending on the color you use.
» For an extra creamy texture, add coconut milk to the blended soup.
» To save time, you can work with store-bought roasted red peppers too.
» This Instant Pot roasted red bell pepper and lentil soup is exceptionally creamy and luscious without the addition of any flour or cream. So, please do not skip the lentils, as this soup gets its velvety texture from the red lentils.
» If using store-bought vegetable broth, use the low sodium one to control the salt in the soup.
» This Instant Pot roasted red bell pepper and lentil soup can be made in the Indian pressure cooker. Follow the recipe until step 6, then pressure cook the ingredients for 3 whistles on medium flame. Allow the steam to release naturally. Once the steam has elapsed, open the lid, blend the ingredients, and serve.
Try this Instant Pot roasted red bell pepper and lentil soup today, and I guarantee this bowl full of nourishment will surely be a hit with your family.
Should you make this Instant Pot roasted red bell pepper and lentil soup, please leave me a comment below, and don’t forget to share it with your family and friends.
Craving for more, try some other delicious soups-
Instant Pot Roasted Red Bell Pepper And Lentil Soup
FOR THE SOUP
- Wash Red split lentils under tap water until it runs clear. Drain and set it aside. Preheat oven at @500 degrees F. Wash and pat dry the red bell peppers. Trim the top off and de-seed the peppers. On a baking tray arrange peppers in a single layer and rub the peppers with oil.
- Place the bell peppers m under the broiler for 4-5 minutes until they become charred or until the skins turn dark and wrinkly. Remove from the oven and transfer them to a glass container. Cover them with a plastic wrap for 10-12 minutes. The steam will continue to cook and soften the bell peppers. After the tieme has elapsed, dice the peppers in cubes and set them aside.
- Heat the Instant Pot in ‘SAUTE MODE’. Add olive oil. When it gets hot, add onions, and garlic.
- Saute for 2 minutes.
- Add roasted red bell peppers, washed and drained red lentils, and chopped tomatoes. Add all the spices – bay leaves, crushed red chili flakes, dried parsley leaves, cumin powder, sriracha sauce, and salt. Give it a good stir. Feel free to adjust the spice level. This soup is moderately spicy but not overly.
- Pour in vegetable stock/water. Give it a good mix and turn the Instant Pot off.
- Close the lid with the valve/whistle in sealing position. Change the Instant Pot setting to ‘MANUAL OR PRESSURE COOK MODE’ and allow it to cook for 8 minutes on high pressure. When the time is done, Instant Pot will beep. Allow the pressure to dissipate naturally on its own (NPR).
- When the pin drops, carefully open the Instant Pot and blend the cooked soup with a blender.
- Do the taste test and adjust the spices accordingly. The color of the soup depends on how rich your tomatoes are. I have used plump red tomato for this soup and it turned out deliciously red.
- Serve hot topped with pumpkin seeds and fresh cilantro.