Indulge in a super easy and flavorful Instant Pot Matar Paneer Recipe made in a rich and creamy gravy. This gluten-free curry comes together in less than 30 minutes and makes an amazing weeknight meal. Can be vegan too!
Want to serve your family something delicious, wholesome and yet something that doesn’t demand enough time to cook? I would say, Instant Pot Matar Paneer Recipe is your go-to recipe. Not only it’s easy; it’s practically effortless too!
Matar Paneer is one of the most craved and all-time favorite dish on the Indian menu. Once you make Matar Paneer in IP, you’ll never want to revert to the traditional way of making it.
The best part – in less than 30 minutes, a lip-smacking curry will be on your dinner table, impressive, right?
WHY Make Instant Pot Matar Paneer IN a Pressure Cooker?
Instant Pots are relatively new to the market and a fabulous helping-tool around the kitchen. It has made life so much easier that I hardly use my regular cooker these days.
From simple rice to varieties of main course dishes, I am cooking everything in my Instant Pot. I love the convenience of Instant Pot. It offers –
- one pot, mess-free cooking
- No babysitting required.
- Saute, Seal and Set the timer. Food gets cooked efficiently.
- It saves you a pile of dirty dishes.
And the best part – the ability to multi-task while your food is getting cooked. 🙂 Now, who can beat that! Instant Pot Matar Paneer Recipe
WHAT IS MATAR PANEER?
Matar refers to Green peas, and Paneer means Indian cottage cheese. And Matar Paneer is a delicious concoction of Paneer cubes and peas simmered together in a creamy curry.
The mild, smooth base for paneer is made with a blend of flavorful spices, and a combination of onion, tomatoes, garlic, and ginger. Later, Paneer and peas are cooked in the Instantpot until soft and tender. When simmered together, their flavors meld and intensify making it out-of-this-world delicious!
Top with fresh cilantro leaves and serve alongside your favorite bread or plain rice for a flavorsome meal tonight!
WHAT IS PANEER?
It is a non-melting cheese made by boiling milk. Vinegar or lemon juice is added to the heated liquid to separate the curds and whey.
Later, curds are separated through a muslin cloth, and excess liquid is pressed from the cheese/paneer. Next, paneer is wrapped in a clean cloth and pressed in between a heavyweight for a firm shape. Once firm, use as directed in the recipe.
Paneer is one of those ingredients that freeze beautifully. When ready to use, toss the frozen cubes in hot water until soft and use as directed.
So, if I am dealing with a time crunch, this is my recipe. I always have all the ingredients on hand, and my family loves it. Best part, there’s hardly any clean-up. 😊
Do give Instant Pot Matar Paneer Recipe a try and if you happen to make this dish then share a yum picture or leave a comment below. I would love to hear from you.
Instant Pot Matar Paneer Recipe
- 1.75 cups Fresh Paneer -Indian Cottage Cheese (vegan option – tofu, soya nuggets, potatoes)
- 2 cups Frozen Peas
- 2 pieces of Bay leaves (Tej patta)
- 2 pods of Whole Black Cardamom (Moti eliachi)
- 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1.5 teaspoon Garlic paste
- 1.5 teaspoon Ginger paste
- 3/4 cup Tomato puree
- 2 teaspoons Curd/yogurt (vegan option – cashew paste)
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric/ Haldi
- 1 teaspoon Kashmiri Red Chilli
- 2 teaspoons Coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon Garam Masala
- 2 teaspoons Dried Fenugreek leaves
- – – Salt to taste
- Cut paneer into cubes. Set it aside.
- Plug in the Instant Pot. Press the SAUTE mode on. To the inner pot of your Instant Pot add oil, curry leaves, cardamom pods and cumin seeds. When it starts to crackle, add onions.
- Add in garlic and ginger paste too. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add tomato puree.
- Mix and cook for another 2-3 minutes until oil starts to separate.
- Add the curd/yogurt along with salt, coriander powder, red chili powder, turmeric, garam masala, and salt.
- Finally, add crushed dried fenugreek leaves. Dried fenugreek leaves or Kasuri methi imparts a nice aroma to Indian dishes. I highly recommend not skipping it.
- Mix it well.
- Add frozen peas to this mixture.
- Pour in 1 cup of water and mix to combine.
- Add Paneer cubes and mix. Close the lid and set the valve to seal. Set the instant pot to manual or pressure cook mode for 4 minutes.
- After the cooking time is over, the instant pot will start beeping, release the pressure instantly (QPR).
- Open the IP and adjust the seasonings. You may need to adjust the consistency of water as Paneer will soak up the curry.
- Serve instant pot Mattar paneer with rice, naan or any bread of choice.
OTHER VARIATIONS! Feel free to swap out –
Disclaimer: Nutritional information provided below is approximate. Variations may exist due to the ingredients/brands used. Please refer to a Registered Dietitian or Nutritionists if you have any health issues.
Calories: 261kcal | Carbohydrates: 15g | Protein: 13g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Cholesterol: 43mg | Sodium: 31mg | Potassium: 312mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 555IU | Vitamin C: 25.3mg | Calcium: 355mg | Iron: 1.8mg