Delicious and tasty North Indian Punjabi Chole Bhature Recipe. Chole accompanied with Bhautra is a satisfying authentic tasting meal which is relished by everyone. Garbanzo beans, chickpeas is a great source of protein and is very low in calories and rich in fiber.
Boiled Chickpeas are sauteed with onion- tomatoes and flavored with strong and warming flavors of spices to create this North Indian delicacy. It’s a delicious and super-easy brunch.
Chole Bhature recipe is explained in three easy steps. First starts with boiling of chana with whole spices and garlic which are later discarded. Secondly, roasting all the dry spices (which are always ready in my pantry) and later grounding them to their powdered form gives a nice, toasty depth to the spices. Last assembling boiled chole with these roasted spices and onion-tomato adds more authentic level of flavor to the final dish.
FEW SUBSTITUTE –
- Pomegranate seeds can be substituted with tamarind paste or lemon juice to achieve the similar flavor profile.
- If you prefer garlic in your chole then skip adding garlic while boiling. Add chopped garlic and saute along with onion-ginger mixture.
- Chopped amla can be substituted with a amla powder. Amla powder is their in the recipe to add more darker color. Skipping it all together will not harm the recipe.
- Tanginess and acidity from the tomatoes can be balanced by adding sugar to the recipe. I had skipped this part because everything was perfect.
- Adding chopped cilantro was the nice final touch that shouldn’t be skipped! It adds more flavor.
HOMEMADE CHANA MASALA – Whole spices can be used instead of grounded ones. Toast them on a low flame till they start omitting their aroma and when cooled ground them to their powdered form and add to chole.