Making sun-dried tomatoes at home is relatively easy. Drizzle with some oil and slowly bake them in the oven for the best Sun-dried Tomatoes. Perfect for Pesto and pastas!
Every summer, I buy fresh tomatoes in bulk from our local farmers market and sun-dry them. But drying tomatoes in sun is a tedious process. It takes about 3-4 days to attain moisture-free dried tomatoes.
To avoid this lengthy process, follow a step-by-step tutorial below on how to make sun-dried tomatoes in the oven?
Homemade Sun-Dried Tomatoes!
Making sun-dried tomatoes at home is relatively easy. You don’t need any special equipment for that. Earlier, I baked the tomatoes for 8-10 hours until they were all dry and soft. But now, I merely do half the time in the oven and rest I use a day of sunlight to make sun-dried tomatoes.
Two simple methods are shown below.
- First one – thickly slice the tomatoes and arrange them on the greased wire rack. Remember thick tomatoes takes longer to bake/dry but makes the best sun-dried tomatoes. Bake as directed.
- The second one – cut tomatoes in halves, remove the pulp and bake for 1 hour 30 minutes.
Make sure to keep some space in between for the hot air to circulate. Set the trays in a preheated oven and bake the tomatoes for 3-4 hours. Keep a watchful eye on them as each oven is different and they may get burned.
When they turn wrinkly and look dry, remove from oven and set them on a dry tray. Keep the tomatoes in the hot sun for a full day (or until they are thoroughly dried) and let mother nature do the rest. Depending on your weather conditions, it may take longer if the sun is not bright (maybe 2-3 days).
As they dry their color deepens to gorgeous red color, and they have a soft feel to them.
The first one will shrink in size but retain their shape. But the second one ( in which the pulp is removed) will curl up and become soft. Both methods will yield the same results in the end – dehydrated sun-dried tomato with no moisture left in it. Tomatoes will feel rugged but not crispy or crunchy.
Store in an airtight container and add olive oil to preserve them. It may sound like a time-consuming job, but the result is rewarding. Your very own homemade sun-dried tomatoes made from scratch!
I hope you give this recipe a try. Let me know in the comments if you try this recipe. If you have any questions, I would be happy to answer them. Would love to hear from you. ?
Thanks for reading.?
How to make Sun Dried Tomatoes in Oven
- 2 lbs Firm tomatoes
- 1 cup Olive oil
- Wash and clean tomatoes. Preheat the oven @180 degree F.
- Slice them thick and spread the tomatoes on a wire tray greased with oil. Make sure to keep some space in between for the hot air to circulate.
- Set the trays in a preheated oven and bake the tomatoes for 3-4 hours. Keep a watchful eye on them as each oven is different and they may get burned.
- At this point the tomatoes are still wet. Keep them in the hot sun for a full day or until they are fully dried. It may take longer if the sun is not bright - 2-3 days.
- Other way is a messy one. For this one - remove the pulp.
- Grease a baking tray and arrange tomatoes.
- Bake for 1:30 hours. They will get soft and mushy but still have some flesh left. Remove from oven and arrange them on a tray.
- Keep them in the hot sun for a full day or until they are fully dried. It may take longer if the sun is not bright - 2-3 days. As they dry their color deepens to gorgeous red color and they have a soft feel to them.
- The final product should be completely dried with no moisture left. Tomatoes should feel rugged but not crispy or crunchy.
- Store in an airtight container and add olive oil to preserve them.
- Stays good in the refrigerator for month.
Disclaimer: Nutritional information provided below is approximate. Variations may exist due to the ingredients/brands used. Please refer to a Registered Dietitian or Nutritionists if you have any health issues.
Calories: 22kcal | Carbohydrates: 2g | Fat: 1g | Sodium: 134mg | Potassium: 137mg | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 505IU | Vitamin C: 7.8mg | Calcium: 10mg | Iron: 0.2mg