Quick and easy vegetarian hot and fiery Homemade Szechuan Sauce recipe prepared with ingredients right off your pantry. 20 minutes is all it takes from start to finish!
Homemade Szechuan Sauce recipe is one of the essentials I always have on hand. It’s a quick and easy versatile sauce that can convert an ordinary meal into a restaurant-style dinner. If you enjoy Chinese food, then try making this super duper easy sauce at home.
Nothing beats a fresh homemade Szechuan Sauce recipe that is incredibly healthy, and preservative -free. Why homemade when you can get the ready-made sauce from the store?
- Well, to start with, I control what goes into my sauce.
- Secondly, there are no preservatives or un-pronounced ingredients that are added and the best part is I can customize the sauce to my liking.
- Besides that, it freezes beautifully.
So what makes up this Szechuan Sauce recipe?
Hot and spicy dried red chilies. These red chilies are so hot and fiery that its seeds need to be removed before use. All the work goes in de-seeding whole red chilies and after that the recipe is straightforward.
Do not underestimate the spiciness of this sauce. Even after removing the seeds, this sauce is still very spicy. So to balance the spicy flavor, adjust the sweetness to your preferred taste.
If you have a sensitive skin then these chilies may irritate your skin, make sure you wear gloves throughout the de-seeding process.
Traditionally, motor and pestle are used to pound these chilies but I have used a blender here as I can’t handle the heat from these chilies. Then cook the blended puree along with spices as shown below.
Szechuan Sauce a perfect sauce for any meal!
This versatile sauce can be used to jazz up any boring meal. It serves as a perfect base for –
- stir fry veggies, tofu, and even meat.
- add a teaspoon to your soups and curries and take them to a whole new level.
- Spice up your noodles, and rice bowls with this fiery sauce.
- taste best even on pizzas, burgers, and sandwiches.
- One sauce and the possibilities are endless.
Best part – It freezes beautifully!
I make a huge batch of this sauce and freeze it in batches. The frozen sauce comes in really handy on one of those busy weeknights. So what you waiting for- hop on and let’s get started to make our very own homemade Szechuan Sauce recipe.
If you happen to make these then either drop me a line below or share your yum pictures with me on Facebook. Would love to see your creation!
Are we friend's yet? Let's connect on -
Don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below!
Homemade Szechuan Sauce recipe
- 2 cups Dried Whole Chilies (40-50 pieces)
- 1 medium Chopped Onion
- 3 tablespoon Chopped Garlic
- 2 teaspoon Ginger paste
- 3 tablespoon Tomato Ketchup
- 3 tablespoon Soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Vinegar
- 2-3 tablespoon Brown Sugar or Regular sugar
- 2-3 tablespoon Sugar
- Salt to taste
- 2 tablespoon Sesame Oil or Olive oil
- 1/4 cup Water
- Let's begin with de-seeding the chilies.
- Cut chili in half...
- Open and remove all the seeds.
- Remove seeds in a bowl...
- Remove the dried membrane and discard.
- All we need is the skin of red chilies. If you have a sensitive skin then these chilies may irritate your skin, make sure you wear gloves before removing seeds from these chilies.
- All the red chilies are de-seeded and ready. It took me 20 minutes to empty all the chilies.
- Discard the seeds.
- Transfer cleaned chilies to a mixer...
- Add 1/4 cup water and grind it to a smooth paste.
- Assemble rest of the ingredients.
- Heat sesame oil in a pan, add chopped garlic, ginger and saute for 1 minute.
- Mix in chopped onions and saute for for another 1-2 minutes until onions are translucent.
- Pour in szechuan paste..
- Add tomato ketchup...
- Add soy sauce...
- Add salt..
- Pour in vinegar and bring it to a boil. Add sugar and mix until well blended.
- Adjust sweetness and salt. Sezchuan sauce is ready.
- When completely cooled store it in an airtight container and its good for 3-4 weeks in your refrigerator and for 6 months in your freezer.