Homemade Szechuan Sauce is an extremely flavorful sauce prepared with 10 basic ingredients. This spicy and fiery sauce is very popular in Indo-Chinese cuisine and is used to flavor many recipes. Plus the whole recipe takes just 20 minutes from start to finish and is vegan and gluten-free!
Homemade Szechuan Sauce recipe is one of the versatile sauce that I always have on hand. Whether it be plain noodles or rice, this quick and easy sauce can convert an ordinary meal into a restaurant-style dinner. So, if you enjoy Chinese food, then make this super duper easy sauce a staple in your home.
Why make a Szechuan Sauce recipe at home when you can easily get the ready-made ones from the store?
- Well, to start with, nothing beats homemade.
- Homemade is incredibly healthy and preservative -free. The best part, no un-pronounced ingredients are added and you can control what goes into the sauce.
- Besides that, it freezes beautifully.
So what makes up this Szechuan Sauce recipe?
Hot and spicy dried red chilies. These red chilies are so hot and fiery that its seeds need to be removed before use. All the work goes in de-seeding whole red chilies and after that the recipe is straightforward.
Do not underestimate the spiciness of this sauce. Even after removing the seeds, this sauce is still very spicy. So to balance the spicy flavor, adjust the sweetness to your preferred taste.
If you have sensitive skin then these chilies may irritate your skin, make sure you wear gloves throughout the de-seeding process.
Traditionally, motor and pestle are used to pound these chilies but I have used a blender here as I can’t handle the heat from these chilies. Then cook the blended puree along with spices as shown below.
Szechuan Sauce a perfect sauce for any meal!
This versatile sauce can be used to jazz up any boring meal. It serves as a perfect base for –
- stir fry veggies, tofu, and even meat.
- add a teaspoon to your soups and curries and take them to a whole new level.
- Spice up your noodles, and rice bowls with this fiery sauce.
- taste best even on pizzas, burgers, and sandwiches.
- One sauce and the possibilities are endless.
The best part – It freezes beautifully!
I make a huge batch of this sauce and freeze it in batches. The frozen sauce comes in really handy on one of those busy weeknights. So what you waiting for- hop on and let’s get started to make our very own homemade Szechuan Sauce recipe.
If you happen to make these then either drop me a line below or share your yum pictures with me on Facebook. Would love to see your creation!
Are we friend's yet? For new updates and recipes, follow @ruchiskitchen on -
For new updates and recipes, follow @ruchiskitchen on -
Don’t forget to ⭐ rate the recipe and leave me a comment below.
Homemade Szechuan Sauce recipe
- Let's begin with de-seeding the chilies.
- Cut chili in half...
- Open and remove all the seeds.
- Remove seeds in a bowl...
- Remove the dried membrane and discard.
- All we need is the skin of red chilies. If you have a sensitive skin then these chilies may irritate your skin, make sure you wear gloves before removing seeds from these chilies.
- All the red chilies are de-seeded and ready. Discard the seeds.
- Transfer cleaned chilies to a mixer...
- Add 1/4 cup water and grind it to a smooth paste.
- Heat sesame oil in a pan, add chopped garlic, ginger and saute for 1 minute.
- Mix in chopped onions and saute for for another 1-2 minutes until onions are translucent.
- Pour in szechuan paste..
- Add tomato ketchup...
- Add soy sauce...
- Add salt..
- Pour in vinegar and bring it to a boil. Add sugar and mix until well blended.
- Adjust sweetness and salt. Sezchuan sauce is ready.
- When completely cooled store it in an airtight container and its good for 3-4 weeks in your refrigerator and for 6 months in your freezer.