Don’t let the name take you back from enjoying this yummy recipe. This could become your next family favorite. My family was in for a shock when I announced that it’s gobi ke danthal ki sabzi (cauliflower stalks vegetable) for dinner. Well the first thing that bounced back at me was, “Mom who eats that? Is this good enough to eat? ” After a lot of no-no’s they tasted the vegetable and plates were licked clean. Well, not for my kids, who had cornered each and every danthal they encountered in the dish. 😉
RECIPE DETAIL – Nothing fancy, simple straightforward recipe. Take a fresh cauliflower and make sure its stalks and leaves are fresh, green and not wilted. Remove stalks and leaves and save the cauliflower to make achari gobi, gobi paratha, vegetarian keema gobi or gobi manchurian.
Cut and wash cauliflower stalks couple of times to remove all the dirt. Meanwhile prepare a mild chunky gravy for our vegetable. You can substitute tomato puree with chopped tomatoes.
I always cook this vegetable in an open pan, but feel free to pressure cook this vegetable. Once the stalks are soft and tender avoid over mixing it, or the vegetable will become mushy. Adjust seasonings and enjoy!!
Gobi ke danthal ki sabzi is a Punjabi delicacy and is cooked and relished in winters. If you haven’t tried it before, do give it a try and you will end up eating the whole plate. 🙂 Serve it hot with warm rotis and homemade curd. A perfect afternoon meal – healthy and nutritious.
Gobi ke Danthal ki Sabzi
- 1 full Gobi danthal (cauliflower stems)
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 tablespoon Chopped Garlic
- 1 tablespoon Chopped Ginger
- 1 large Tomato, chopped
- 1 small Green chili, chopped
- 1/4 cup Tomato puree
- 1/2 cup Water
- 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds (Jeera)
- 1/4 teaspoon Haldi (Turmeric powder)
- 1/2 teaspoon Deggi Mirch or Red chili Powder
- 1.5 teaspoon Coriander powder (sukha dhaniya)
- 1.5 teaspoon Garam Masala Powder
- Salt to taste
- 2 tablespoon Oil
- Take a fresh cauliflower and make sure its stem is fresh and green and not wilted. Let's begin by cutting the danthal/cauliflower stems first.
- Remove stalks and leaves from cauliflower.
- Save the cauliflower.
- Peel the stalks and...
- Cut them in small pieces.
- Cut the leaves too.
- For the thick stem part, cut and slice them into pieces.
- Wash them thoroughly under tap water.
- Rub the pieces and wash them again. Drain and set them aside.
- Assemble: rest of the ingredients.
- And spices..
- Heat oil in a pan. Add cumin seeds and as they start to crackle mix in ginger and garlic.
- Saute for few seconds and mix in chopped onions. Saute until onions are translucent.
- Mix in chopped tomato and tomato puree. Mix and add spices.
- Cook for couple of minutes until oil starts to separate.
- Add chopped danthal (cauliflower stems).
- Add water and cover.
- Let it cook for 20 -25 minutes or until the cauliflower stems are soft and tender. You can choose to pressure cook this for 4-5 whistles.
- Cook until all the water has evaporated and oil starts to separate.
- Adjust seasonings..
- Serve hot with warm rotis and homemade curd.