Treat your family and guests to this restaurant-style, flavorsome ravisher – Crispy Chili Honey Potatoes, and make any occasion a magical fiesta! Sweet & spicy with a hint of sourness and a delectable crunch, Chili Honey Potatoes dominate the appetizer section on any restaurant’s menu card.
And not to mention – an array of flavors and the crispiness this recipe promises make it a sensational dish for all potato lovers across the globe!
What is Crispy Chili Honey Potatoes
Made quickly with a few ingredients readily available in the pantry, including the basic sauces, Chili Honey Potatoes is an Indo-Chinese recipe that can be served as a starter recipe along with a beverage or soup.
Potato fries are deep-fried in hot oil until crispy brown and tossed in delectable sauces to bring their ambrosial specialty flavor.
This coating of sauces, chilies, and honey render a mouth-watering combination of flavors that make you drool entirely over it.
You can either deep fry your potato strips (just like I have done for this recipe) or simply bake them or air fry them for a healthier option.
So, as an evening delicacy snack, rustle up a batch of these spicy-sweet, crispy, saucy Chili Honey Potatoes today and delve into its awesomeness.
Reasons You’ll ♡ this Crispy Chili Honey Potatoes
A dish like this crisp, zesty, and most flavorsome – Honey Chili potatoes are valued for more reasons than one.
- Easy to make,
- Has a myriad of flavors
- Loved for its exciting combination of sweet, sour, and spicy
- A perfect hors d’oeuvre appetizer or starter recipe
- An absolute crowd-pleaser, and
- Can be prepared in a big batch.
In addition, honey chili potato is a nut-free recipe; that tastes much better than the restaurant ones.
Serve this addictively delicious and crispy, honey-glazed delicacy immediately, as the potatoes may turn soggy if kept for some time.
Crispy Chili Honey Potatoes Ingredient list
Potatoes — The key ingredient in this delicious recipe, potatoes are cut as fries to make the perfect chili honey potatoes. Ensure that the strips are cut the same size for evenly cooking.
Chili powder — This recipe for Chili honey potatoes can’t be complete with the absolute hotness of chili powder. An essential ingredient that adds real fun! Use fresh chili powder for the best results.
Garlic paste — The sweet pungency and zesty flavor of the garlic paste enhances the deliciousness of this recipe.
Red chili paste — This recipe calls for a lot of chili flavor, and red chili paste adds the right chili punch. It also renders the dish its lovely reddish tinge.
Cornstarch — Corn flour/ cornstarch is added to the recipe to produce the required crispiness. Ensure that the cornstarch being added is fresh, as the stale one would give an unpleasant flavor and smell.
Vinegar — It brings a subtle acidic sourness to the recipe.
Soy Sauce — Adds a rich flavor and saltiness to the recipe.
Tomato Ketchup — Sweet and tangy tomato ketchup adds color and lots of flavor to the recipe.
Honey — Use honey for the delicious sweetness that complements so well with the saltiness and sourness of the recipe and makes it a show-stopper appetizer with a perfect glaze and glamour!
Pepper — White pepper adds its unique musty flavor and a little heat and gingery tones to the recipe.
Black pepper — A dash of black pepper added to the recipe gives it a distinct spicy, woody, and striking hot flavor, making the recipe bolder and tastier.
Salt — Added for flavor and seasoning. However, be careful while adding the salt to the dish, as all the sauces used here are sodium-packed. So adding additional salt may make your dish too salty.
How to make Crispy Chili Honey Potatoes
An ideal party starter dish bursting with flavors, this chili honey potatoes recipe is effortless to prepare and quite filling.
And not to mention – Compliments come as a bonus!
Prepare Potatoes — Rinse, scrub, and peel off the potatoes. Cut them into medium-sized fingers about ¼-inch or 1/3 -inch thick strips for best results. Soak them in cold water for 20-30 minutes.
After the soaking timer, drain the potatoes and pat them dry with a kitchen towel to remove the excess moisture after draining the water.
Coat the Potatoes — Toss the sliced potatoes into a large mixing bowl. Add cornstarch with other spices and sauces, and mix until all the slices are well coated with the mixture.
Fry the Potatoes — Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat until it’s shimmering. Add the coated potato fries to the skillet and fry until golden. Fry them in small batches.
Once golden, remove them from the oil and spread them on a tissue in a single layer.
Air fry the Potatoes — For crispier chili honey potatoes, I have tossed them in the airfryer. This step yielded a perfectly crisp exterior and a perfectly cooked interior.
Prepare the sauce — Heat sesame oil in a broad wok or pan. Add garlic and sauté well for a minute over low flame. Add the sauces, sesame seeds, and cornstarch slurry and cook until the sauce thickens.
Assemble Crispy Chili Honey Potatoes — Add the crispy potato fries and toss until they are well coated with sauce. Garnish with spring onions and sesame seeds, and immediately serve the chili honey potatoes.
Recipe Tips and Variations
Careful selection of potatoes — Less starchy potatoes make the best potato fries, so the Russet potatoes or Yukon Gold are ideal. I have used potatoes with fresh golden skin as they are most suited for frying crispy fries.
Soak potatoes — Potatoes with less starch content are best for making the crispest potato fries as they do not turn sticky. Soak the potato strips, and remove the starch from the potatoes, making them super crisp and non-sticky. Therefore, soak the potato strips in chilled water for about 20 to 30 minutes. This is a significant step and should not be missed.
Rinse them after soaking — Soaking lets the starch collect and accumulate over the potato strips; therefore, rinsing them with water is imperative.
Key to the crispy fries — Coating the raw potato strips with cornstarch is essential for reaching the desired crispiness. It renders a crispy coating to each potato strip when frying and is worth a few extra minutes to reach crunchy perfection.
A quick fry after coating — The potato fries need to be fried immediately after coating with cornstarch. If left for some time, it releases moisture, making the coating thick and sticky.
Uniform slicing — The potatoes must be cut in the exact sizes to be cooked uniformly. Cut them into ¼-inch or 1/3 -inch thick strips for best results.
Use neutral flavor oil — Fry these potato strips in vegetable oil as it doesn’t overpower the crispy potato flavor. Avoid using olive oil as it can’t withstand the high temperatures and has a low burning point too.
Importance of the ideal oil temperature — Frying the potato to its crispy best involves sticking to a perfect oil temperature when frying. A medium-high temperature works best for well-fried potatoes. Lower temperatures will turn the potato strips greasy and soggy.
When frying, check the temperature with a cooking thermometer and maintain the ideally required temperature. If you don’t have a thermometer, use a wooden spatula to test the temperature. For this, dip the spatula in the hot oil, and if you notice the oil bubbling around the spatula, it is ready to fry the potatoes.
Sweet or sweeter, your preference! — Add honey to the recipe as per your liking. Adjust the quantity of honey with the amount of sweetness you want.
Spiciness for spice lovers — This dish is a medium-hot preparation. But if you prefer some extra kick, add a dash of sriracha sauce or some extra chili flakes to spice up the flavor.
The veggies addition — You may like to add more flavor and health to your chili honey potatoes. For this, feel free to add bell peppers and onions to the dish. Relish the more healthy and delicious variation of the honey chili potatoes.
Use a large wok — Mixing is more accessible in a large wok as it contains more space to toss around the potatoes and coat them well in sauces and honey. Therefore, use a big wok for the preparation.
Variation to honey chili potatoes — You can substitute potatoes with mushrooms, paneer, sweet potatoes, and cauliflower. Keeping the recipe guide the same, you can prepare a new variation of this dish.
Substituting honey — Honey can be substituted with a mix of maple syrup and brown sugar for those preferring a vegan recipe.
Let me know what you think!
Are you drooling over the images of this sweet and spicy delicacy? You are not far from creating your own platter of happiness.
A perfect appetizer for your dinner tonight, this recipe is a must-try. Follow the step-by-step tutorial below and read through the expert tips for a perfect creation.
Should you make this recipe, please let me know your thoughts by sharing your comment below. And don’t forget to share it with your family and friends.
HUNGRY FOR MORE FAMILY-FAVORITE RECIPES, TRY THESE-
Crispy Chili Honey Potatoes
FOR THE SAUCE
- – – Chopped spring onions
- – – White Sesame Seeds
- Rinse, scrub, and peel off the potatoes. Cut them into medium-sized fingers about ¼-inch or 1/3 -inch thick strips for best results. Soak them in cold water for 20-30 minutes.After the soaking time is over, drain the water. Now rinse the potatoes 2-3 times thoroughly in cold running water. Pat them dry with a kitchen towel to remove the excess moisture after draining the water.
- Toss the sliced potatoes into a large mixing bowl. Add cornstarch.
- Add black pepper, chili powder, garlic paste, salt, and red chili paste to the potatoes.
- Mix until all the slices are well coated with the mixture.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat until it’s shimmering. Add the coated potato fries to the skillet and fry until golden. Fry them in small batches.
- Once golden, remove them from the oil and spread them on a tissue in a single layer.
AIR FRY THE SECOND TIME
- Double frying the potato fries is the trick food joints use to render the crispiest potato fries for this recipe. But I have refrained from double frying. Instead, I fried them once until crisp, and then for a crispier outer covering, I tossed them in the air fryer.This step yielded a perfectly crisp exterior and a perfectly cooked interior. The air fryer method also delivered a more extended crunch, even after glazing them with sauces and honey.
PREPARE THE SAUCE
- To make the sauce heat sesame oil in a broad wok or pan. Add garlic.
- Sauté well for a minute over low flame.
- Add the soy sauce, vinegar, tomato ketchup, red chili paste, white pepper, and sesame seeds to the pan.
- Mix until well blended.
- Stir in the cornstarch slurry.
- Mix until the sauces and slurry are well blended.
- Cook until the sauce thickens.
- Once the sauce is thick and bubbly, shut off the cooktop power and stir in the honey. Tip — A healthy addition of honey — Honey is a powerhouse of antioxidants and phytonutrients, which have excellent health benefits. However, cooking at higher temperatures destroys all their healing properties. Therefore, it is best to add honey at the end of the cooking process to retain its nutritional value after turning off the heat.
- Add the crispy potatoes to the pan.
- Mix well and toss them around until each fries is well coated in sauce.
- Garnish with spring onions and sesame seeds, and serve the chili honey potatoes immediately.