Step by step recipe to prepare Churma or Choorma recipe. Churma is a great accompaniment to the trio dish DAL, BAATI CHURMA. Prepared with wheat dough balls which are baked in oven and then reduced to crumbs to make this scrumptious sweet. Ghee is added in abundance to all the Rajasthani dishes and Churma is no exception at all. More the ghee the softer the Churma turns out to be. But one can always reduce the amount of ghee that goes in this recipe.
Knead a soft and pliable dough and form them into dough balls. Place them on a baking sheet and bake them into baatis– learn how to bake baatis,step by step recipe. Later baati crumbs are roasted in ghee and desiccated coconut, dried nuts and cardamom powder are added to perk up the flavors. The end result is a tasty and delectable Rajasthani sweet – CHURMA!!
TIP – Churma can be stored in an airtight container for 2 weeks. The texture may change over the coarse of time – just add 1 teaspoon of ghee and warm it in a microwave for 20-30 seconds and churma will retain its texture back.
FOR THE DOUGH
- 2 cups of Wheat Flour (Atta)
- 1-1/4 cups of Water (Approximately)
- 2 tablespoon Oil
- For the dough - mix in all the ingredients and knead a soft and pliable dough. Learn how to knead dough - Step by step recipe in our basics section .
- Preheat the oven at 450 degree F. Divide the dough and make equal balls out of it. Bake it in an oven for 20 - 25 minutes turning occasionally.
- Once fully baked, break a baati and check if thoroughly cooked. Allow it to cool down. Roughly break the baatis and toss them in a food processor or mixer to grind them into crumbs. Another way to break them is by hand. Using your fingers make crumbs out of baati.
- Assemble rest of the ingredients and let's begin preparing Churma recipe.
- Heat ghee is a kadai or pan. Add churma crumbs to it and saute for 2-3 minutes on a medium low flame. Stir in chopped dried nuts mix and saute for another minute.
- Add cardamom powder, dried coconut and mix well.
- Finally add sugar and reduce the heat to low. Stir it well, as the sugar blends in with the churma- take it off the flame and serve.
- One may sprinkle more ghee on top before serving. Churma can be enjoyed hot or cold. It can also be stored in an airtight container and is good for 2 weeks.
- Enjoy the traditional trio of Rajasthan - DAL, BAATI AND CHURMA....
Disclaimer: Nutritional information provided below is approximate. Variations may exist due to the ingredients/brands used. Please refer to a Registered Dietitian or Nutritionists if you have any health issues.