Chana Dal with Lauki – a great combination of lentil and vegetable.Bengal gram dal mixed with boiled bottle gourd makes it a nutritional delight. Bottle gourd also referred as lauki, dudhi or gheeya has medicinal properties. Due to its high fiber content lauki helps cure acidity, indigestion and constipation. Chana dal is good for diabetic patients because it has a low glycemic index and is rich in protein – 25.4 grams of protein. Source – whfoods.com.
Its a common dal which is prepared in nearly every Indian household. Being so rich in its nutritional content, I try to include this dal in my meal plan every other week. To make it more appealing for your kids you can mash the boiled lauki and mix it in the dal. Believe me once they taste it, their taste buds will crave for more. Adding garam masala is an option, though it adds extra spiciness to this recipe.
If cooking without a pressure cooker then you need to soak the dal for 3-4 hours and then boil it in a pan for 30-40 minutes or until soft. Same way in a covered pan boil cubed bottle gourd/lauki for 30-40 or until soft.
CAN’T MAKE IT NOW, PIN IT FOR LATER?
Did you make this recipe?
Tag @Ruchiskitchen on
Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest | Twitter
With your pictures, I would love to see your yummy creations!
Chana dal with lauki
- 1 cup Chana dal
- 1 cup Lauki/bottle gourd, chopped
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 medium Tomato, chopped
- 1 teaspoon Garlic, chopped (optional)
- 1 teaspoon Ginger, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon Red chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Garam Masala Powder (optional)
- 1/2-1 teaspoon Coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon Ghee
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon Chopped cilantro leaves
- Let's prepare our ingredients.
- Wash and clean chana dal. In a pressure add washed dal along with salt and turmeric powder and enough water to cover the dal. Pressure cook it till 3 whistles.
- Boiled chana dal.
- Peel lauki/bottle gourd and cut into cubes.
- Transfer it to a pressure cooker and cook for 2 whistles.
- Prepare the tadka by adding ghee to a pan. Add cumin seeds, chopped onions and saute for 1-2 minutes. Add tomatoes along with spices and mix. Cover the pan and lower the flame.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes on a low flame till the tadka becomes all mushy and looks like this- all blended.
- Stir in the dal.
- And bring it to a boil till the dal blends in with the tadka.
- Add boiled lauki/bottle gourd and stir in carefully. As required add water to the cooked dal - use up water from boiled lauki/bottle gourd.
- Bring it to a boil. Adjust your seasonings and garnish it with cilantro leaves and serve.
- Enjoy it with hot rotis or serve over rice.