Roasted Butternut Squash and Lentil Soup
Cozy up with a bowl of Roasted Butternut Squash and Lentil Soup. A comforting, satisfying, and flavorful soup like this, will warm you up from head to toe on a cold winter night!
Hello friends, how is the winter treating you so far? At our end, weather has started to get really chilly and cold. And what does this cold weather calls for? It calls for soul-warming comfort food, and for us comfort food = a bowl of hot soup. To beat this cold, I am cooking up a scrumptious Roasted Butternut Squash and Lentil Soup.
This smooth, velvety soup is a great winter-warmer and is loaded with hearty veggies and red lentils. It’s packed with a plethora of essential nutrients like – Vitamin C,E, A, K, potassium, beta-carotene, manganese, folate and is –
- and gluten-free.
So much goodness all in one bowl! Now, what more can I ask for in a bowl of soup? It’s heavenly!!
You must be wondering a butternut squash soup recipe – NOW, when the fall season is already behind us. Frankly speaking, this recipe has been sitting in my draft folder since fall. Other seasonal recipes took priority and it was crazily busy. But now I think, it’s time that this soup could gain some attention.
Coming onto the topic. During fall/winters, soups are served almost every other day in my house. And among all the favorites, Roasted Butternut Squash and Lentil Soup in constantly in rotation. Its our feel-good soup that is undoubtedly soul satisfying!
Even my picky eaters eat this soup without a fuss. The best part – I can hide the veggies they dislike in this soup and they won’t even know it. 😉
Now on to the recipe!
This recipe consists of three parts-
- roasting veggies
- Boiling red lentils. Lentils is a great way to add protein to a soup.
- Sauteing and cooking everything together.
Recipe starts by peeling butternut squash. It’s a tough job but with this simple trick that I learned online, you can now easily peel and de-seed a butternut squash. (see step-by-step pics below)
Cut squash into cubes, assemble with other veggies, drizzle oil, salt and bake as directed. Once the veggies are fork-tender, combine them with boiled lentils, veggie stock, onions and cook for few more minutes. This allows the veggies to blend beautifully with cooked lentils and stock.
Time to puree the soup. Use an immersion blender and puree the ingredients until smooth. Red lentils take the creaminess and texture of this soup to a whole new level.
Finally, complete the soup with a drizzle of coconut cream, chopped green onions and pomegranate seeds. Serve hot!
This is a simple, healthy and versatile soup that can be completely customized to your liking. Some handy tips!
- Store-cut butternut squash works great too. Even frozen butternut squash will work for this recipe, though baking time may vary.
- Feel free to add or subtract veggies as per taste. Other great options include – broccoli, bell peppers, zucchini, pumpkin. Possibilities are endless!
- Substitute red lentils with the lentils of your choice.
- Roasting the veggies adds extra flavor to this soup. Therefore, do not skip this step.
- I prefer thick soups but if you like thinner soups than feel free to adjust consistency to your taste.
- Non-vegans substitute coconut cream with regular cream.
- I have made this soup using the cooktop method but you can even cook it in an instant pot or slow cooker.
Like my other soups, this soup freezes beautifully too. Simply store in an airtight container for future use. Pair it with a whole-wheat bread and the leftover soup makes a wholesome meal the next day.
Do give this yummy soup a try and if you happen to make this Roasted Butternut Squash and Lentil Soup then share your pics with me @facebook or tag me by using the hashtag #ruchiskitchen (one word) on social media. Would love to hear back from you and would love to see your yummy pictures!
LOOKING FOR MORE RECIPES, FIND ME ON PINTEREST !
CAN’T MAKE IT NOW, PIN IT FOR LATER ON YOUR BOARD.
ALSO FOLLOW ME ON: