How to make ghee in slow cooker
How to make ghee in slow cooker ? Making homemade ghee is much easier than you think with the help of a slow cooker! So simple and fresh. No more store bought ghee!
In this post learn how to make ghee in slow cooker? Ghee is an essential part of Indian cooking and is used in almost everything from sweet to savory. Ghee is a term used for “pure butter fat” or “sudh makhan”. But for me G – Ghee is , H- Heaven sent, E- Extraordinary, E – Elixir (medicinal potion).
Butter prepared from the milk of cow/buffalo is boiled for a short period of time. Milk solids and water is separated from that butter and the stuff that is left behind is clear golden colored ghee or pure butter fat.
Ghee making is a common practice in India and every Indian household depending on their consumption prepare ghee at least 2-3 times a month. Traditional way of making ghee is over the stove/cook-top but for the past few years I have been making it in my slow cooker.
I toss unsalted butter in my slow cooker, set the timer for 4 hours and carry on with my days work. For the first 2 hours I cook butter on HIGHEST setting and after that, I set it on LOW for the last 1.5 hour (depending on the model of the slow cooker it may take longer). Water and milk solids are separated and they will settle at the bottom- all toasty and gritty. The end result is a nutty flavored golden colored puree ghee that is totally water-free. This is what gives ghee a longer shell life and distinguishes it from clarified butter.
You can cook ghee in rice cooker too. Put it on the RICE /COOKING setting and follow the recipe below. Cooking time may vary depending on the make and model.
Key steps to remember while making ghee in slow cooker –
- Keep the lid slightly open throughout the process. Butter contains water and there will be some foaming and bubbling, therefore keep the lid slightly open for steam to escape.
- For me the total cook time was 3.5 hours – 2 hours on HIGH and 1.5 hour on LOW setting.
- Depending on the model and temperature of the slow cooker it may take longer for ghee to cook.
- If straining ghee in a glass jar, allow it to cool down or else the hot ghee will break the jar.
- If there is any water content left while making ghee, then ghee can spoil.
- Boil ghee till its golden yellow in color and it will stay good for more than 2-3 months and even more.