How to soak sabudana for khichdi
Sabudana pearls also referred as sago pearls or Tapioca pearls is a processed starchy food that is commonly used in Indian cuisine. Sago/tapioca starch adds a pleasantly crisp texture to baked breads and cakes. It is found in the section where gelatin and baking goods are displayed.
During fasting/vrat days sabudana is commonly eaten. It is light, easy to digest and provides energy. Sabudana is used to prepare savory dishes like sabudana vada, sabudana uttapam, sabudana dosa and sabudana khichdi and sweets like sabudana ladoo and sabudana kheer.
But how to get perfect sabudana pearls, how to soak sabudana for khichdi or how to make perfect sabudana for vrat? At times it becomes slimy and turns into a mess. Follow this step by step fail-proof guide to make perfect sabudana pearls..every-time.
1. Take 1 cup of Sabudana/sago/tapioca.Clean and wash them.
2. In a deep bowl add 1 cup washed sabudana and take 1 cup of water, enough water to soak sabudana.
3. Remember just enough water to cover sabudana – DO NOT DRENCH IT IN WATER OR ELSE YOU WILL END UP IN A GOOEY PASTE. Sabudna after 3 hours – still some grains are hard.
4. Cover and let it sit undisturbed for 4 -5 hours. Total soaking time is 4-5 hours, above pictures shows how the pearls will look like after 3 hours. Depending on the grain you may need to soak it a little longer – maybe another hour or so.
Recently, a friend, who wants to remain anonymous shared her tip – soak equal amount of sabudana in equal amount of water and leave it overnight. I experimented and it too yielded great results.
4. After 4-5 hours you will find perfectly puffed up sabudana pearls. All the water added, soaked up by sabudana but still drain the sabudana through a strainer to get rid of that starch.
5. There you have it perfectly puffed up sabudana.
6. You can make sabudana pearls in advance and store in an airtight container for future use. They can remain fresh for 2-3 days in your refrigerator.
7. Use as directed in your recipe.
Now you know the secret to perfect pearls – EQUAL AMOUNT OF SABUDNA + EQUAL AMOUNT OF WATER + KEEP IT FOR 4-5 HOURS OR OVERNIGHT = PERFECT PEARLS. 🙂