How to make Ganeshji Idol at home for Ganesh Chaturthi
Follow the step by step method below to make Eco friendly Ganeshji Idol at home. These pictures are from last year and I had used natural clay to make my Ganeshji. Natural clay can be bought from any ceramic supply or pottery store. Why use clay? Idols made out of naturally clay decompose within a day or two as compare to other materials. Paint used for making idol was water soluble non – toxic paint. That means after Ganesh Chaturthi festival, Ganeshji idol was submerged in a bucket and when everything was dissolved, that same water was used to water houseplants. Please excuse the poor picture quality.
ITEMS YOU NEED –
2 LB or 1 kg Clay powder
Water – enough to knead a dough
Toothpick to make marks on the idol
Paint colors of your choice
- Smooth out dough and make 3 big balls, 2 medium balls and 5 small balls. Size depend on how big you want your idol to be. 3 large balls will be used for base, body and head. 2 medium sized ball will be reduced further in size to make eyes, tusks and other stuff. 5 small balls will be used to make ears and head crown.
2. Flatten out one ball and place the other big ball over the flatten one. This will form the base.
3. Make 4 long rolls. They will form 2 legs, arm and a trunk.
4. As shown in the picture below use 2 long rolls to make legs. Roll them out and flatten their ends outwards.
5. Use another long roll to wrap around the body and make it look like hands. Roll the dough upwards and flatten it – hands in blessing mode. Use some dough to make a ladoo in another hand.
6. Place the 3rd big ball over the body – that’s the head. keep working with the clay and smooth it out.
7. Use the final long roll to make the trunk. Press the trunk on the top and flatten it. Make it pointy at the end. Curve it the way you want. Use 2 small balls to make ears.
9. Use a toothpick to make some marks on the idol.
10. Idol is complete. Let’s begin with the fun part. Paint the idol.
11. Use your imagination and decorate your idol.
12. My Ganeshji is ready.
13. On Visarjan day, we had a bucket filled with water..
14. And placed Ganeshji in that water. The idol dissolved in water in two days and that water was used to water our house plants. This is our way of doing Visarjan.
GANPATI BAPPA MORYA!! MANGAL MURTHI MORYA!!