How to make curd at home
Homemade curd or yogurt is pretty easy to make at home. Curd is an important accompaniment to Indian food and no Indian meal is complete without Dahi/curd whether used as is or in the form of raitas. I prepare homemade curd nearly everyday, not only it’s easy -it tastes good too. Below is a step-by-step pictorial guide to navigate you through the whole process. Enjoy the sweet taste of homemade Curd. It’s simple to make, super easy and addictive!!
Milk is boiled and cooled before cultures are added in. Now the question is when to add the culture OR jaman? For clues see the picture below – Firstly, exterior part of the pan should be comfortable to touch and secondly the protein layer which forms on top of hot milk – MALAI, will all wrinkle up and appears to be dry. That’s the correct moment, using a spoon remove the protein layer and stir in the culture. Allow it to sit for 6-8 hours and your homemade dahi/curd is ready.
1 Litre Milk OR 4 cups Milk
2 tablespoon curd culture
1. Heat milk in a heavy bottom pan. Allow it to boil by stirring occasionally so that it doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pan. Once fully boiled, take it off the flame and allow it to cool down.
2. Here is a tip- Notice how the protein on top of milk has wrinkled up and looks dry – that’s the clue that milk is ready. At this moment you can also touch the exterior of the pan and it should feel lukewarm. Remove the milk protein or malai.
3. Transfer the milk to a different bowl or may use the same pan to set the curd. Once the milk protein is removed stir in the curd culture and mix it well. Cover the milk and place it in a warm place for 6-8 hours or overnight depending on the weather.
4. In winters curd takes longer time to set 6-8 hours approximately but in summers it sets faster -within 4-5 hours. I use my oven to set curd, my Mom used to wrap a towel around the bowl and set it in a casserole and placed it over the fridge. Once curd is set,place it in the refrigerator and enjoy once cooled.
5. Curd is all set. Place it in the refrigerator to cool down for 2- 3 hours, and enjoy !!